AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Cookies

T C
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
T C
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are using Adwords to advertise a service. Our users need to register on our site to use the service. Clicking the ads brings users to our site. The adwords conversion tracking code is on a page that is shown after users complete the registration form.This page is also the first page customers see when they login in to their account.

Sometimes users will click on the ad and then call us to ask about the service. When they call us, our customer support generally registers them and gives them their login credentials. My question is - if the user who was registered by customer support, logs in to their account, will the conversion tracking code, track this as a conversion from the original ad click?

Thank You.

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Adwords Cookies

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi TC

AdWords tracks conversions based on cookies and attributes them to clicks. This means, a conversion should be followed by an ad click.

In the case you've detailed, a cookie is dropped into the user's system when he clicks on your ad. However, he doesn't convert (go to the 'thank you page') as your customer support team does this. In this case, conversions wouldn't tracked accurately. Also, having the conversion tracking code on the log in page may give you incorrect data, users may use the page for logging in, even days after signing up. I'd suggest the following changes for conversions to be tracked accurately:

1. Have a seperate 'Thank you'page (instead of the log in page) to show up after a user signs up for your service
  2. Paste the conversion tracking code in the 'thank you' page
  3. Have your customer support team guide the user over phone to complete the sign up process

This way, conversions would be tracked accurately, as the 'thank you' page is unique and users would convert after an ad click.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

T C
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
T C
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sumanth,
Thank you for the response. I agree with steps 1 and 2 because this is what we used to do to track conversions. We changed it to reduce the number of clicks in accessing the service. As the conversion is tracked through cookies, I think the customer's login is accepted as a conversion. I am basically looking for a confirmation from the experts, so that I can convince my boss to go back to what we were doing before :-).

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

You're welcome, TC!

It is my opinion that log in page shouldn't be used to track conversions, as logging in isn't a conversion action. Lets wait to hear from others on this forum.

@MosheTLV  & @Ahmed Ali : Would love to see your insights on this Smiley Happy

Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
There is an option to upload offline conversions. However; it involves some offline work
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2998031?hl=en

The best would be to track calls using a tracking calls service or Google forwarding number
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454052?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

As Sumanth explained, conversion tracking is based on cookies, so in your case if a user clicked the ad but didn't complete the registration process on his own (not converted), but later visited the logging page which has the conversion code (converted), it would be counted as a conversion and every time he visits this page it will be counted as an additional conversion (but one unique conversion).

Conversions will never stop being counted every time he visits the logging page until his conversion window ends ( by default 30 days).

As said above put the conversion code better on the "thank you" page and try to track the offline conversions as Moshe suggested.

T C
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
T C
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank You for the links. This is very helpful.

T C
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
T C
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is just what I was thinking. Thank you for the validation and the suggestion.