AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Conversions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

I am managing a French Adwords Account for my client. On 12th Jan Adwords reports 2 conversions but the same was not updated on my client's back-hand software. When i pulled down the data of this month, adwords shows 18 conversions and when i confirmed from my client's side, he told me that he only received 8 conversions this month. So from where the extra 10 conversions came in adwords account. i checked the adwords code and it is updated only on thank you pages. So please could anyone help me out on this? so that i can get the clear picture of conversions. 

Regards,

Shazen

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Adwords Conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Shazen,

Did you try doing a test conversion for your client by actually clicking the ad copy and completing the goal completion process?

If not then I would advice you to do so in order to check what exactly is happening.

Additionally, I don't know which data you are actually referring here i.e. Conversion (1 per click) or Conversion (many per click) because conversion (many per click) will have more conversions as compared to 1-per-click.

Conversion tracking cookie can track the conversion happened through an ad click for max period of 30 days (http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722022/?hl=en&). Hence if someone clicked your client's ad 30 days back and made the conversion, Adwords would update that in the interface as well. This could be another reason for data discrepancies with 3rd party software. 

Read this article as well for more insights: http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375399/?hl=en&

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shazen
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Shazen,

Yes, that could be true if you have analytics goals also imported inside Adwords.

Do onething, go to Tools and Analysis and then Conversions Tab. From here, select the type of action which you have actually installed (i.e. lead, sale etc) and then see what numbers you are getting here. Note that this will show you conversions (many-per-click) but this number will only represent Conversions tracked by Adwords conversion tracking script only and will not include goals which you have imported.

I don't think that deleting goals which you have imported will be a wise strategy. If I would have been there, I will keep them as well because understanding web analytics traffic behaviour from both products( i.e. Analytics and Adwords) point of view will give me in depth understanding of how the users behave on my website.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Shazen,

Did you try doing a test conversion for your client by actually clicking the ad copy and completing the goal completion process?

If not then I would advice you to do so in order to check what exactly is happening.

Additionally, I don't know which data you are actually referring here i.e. Conversion (1 per click) or Conversion (many per click) because conversion (many per click) will have more conversions as compared to 1-per-click.

Conversion tracking cookie can track the conversion happened through an ad click for max period of 30 days (http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722022/?hl=en&). Hence if someone clicked your client's ad 30 days back and made the conversion, Adwords would update that in the interface as well. This could be another reason for data discrepancies with 3rd party software. 

Read this article as well for more insights: http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375399/?hl=en&

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Pankaj,

Thanks for the reply!!

"Did you try doing a test conversion for your client by actually clicking the ad copy and completing the goal completion process?"

Not yet, till now i didn't try the same but sure i will do in a meanwhile and get back to you on this.

"Additionally, I don't know which data you are actually referring here i.e. Conversion (1 per click) or Conversion (many per click) because conversion (many per click) will have more conversions as compared to 1-per-click."

I'm referring to Conversion (1 per click).

I was trying to attach the screenshot of my conversion page but however i was not able to do it. I think this is just happening because of analytics goals as the analytics goals are also added in my adwords account. And also please do let me know are these analytics goals needs to be removed from adwords account.

Regards,

Shazen

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shazen
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Shazen,

Yes, that could be true if you have analytics goals also imported inside Adwords.

Do onething, go to Tools and Analysis and then Conversions Tab. From here, select the type of action which you have actually installed (i.e. lead, sale etc) and then see what numbers you are getting here. Note that this will show you conversions (many-per-click) but this number will only represent Conversions tracked by Adwords conversion tracking script only and will not include goals which you have imported.

I don't think that deleting goals which you have imported will be a wise strategy. If I would have been there, I will keep them as well because understanding web analytics traffic behaviour from both products( i.e. Analytics and Adwords) point of view will give me in depth understanding of how the users behave on my website.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Pankaj,

Thanks for the solution Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Regards,

Shazen

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
@Shazen, glad I could help Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Shazen,

Pankaj wrote:
"I don't think that deleting goals which you have imported will be a wise strategy."

I'd like to clarify that a little bit. Keep the Analyics Goal, as it provides very useful data on how customers move through your sales funnel, as Pankaj has noted.

But, I would delete that  from the AdWords account as a conversion, otherwise every conversion will be counted twice, once with the AdWords conversion script and once with the imported goal.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords