AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Conversion tracking in Safari?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Will adwords conversion tracking work in the Safari browser with default settings.  I.e. set to not accept 3rd party cookies.  Since we have been seeing mobile conversions I have always assumed yes, but I suppose they could only be Android.  Please clarify.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Leonard M
September 2015

Re: Adwords Conversion tracking in Safari?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes, Adwords conversion tracking work in the safari browser.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you Sumanppc,

So even if the settings are to not allow 3rd party cookies my conversion tag still works in Safari.

Good info and appreciated.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Leonard M,

AdWords conversion tracking uses a third party cookie. If the browser is set to block 3rd party cookies, conversions will not be tracked.

You could set up GA eCommerce tracking on your site and import transactions as conversions. That avoids the 3rd party cookie.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
So for my question Sumanppc was incorrect?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Leonard M
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Leonard M,

I did a little research. I don't use Safari much. But there are quite a few posts about Safari blocking 3rd Party cookies and possible workarounds. It looks like those workarounds don't work anymore.

I did find articles that confirm the default setting is "Block 3rd Party Cookies". The articles mentioned Google had a work-around by creating an iFrame with google.com source, but those articles said that doesn't work any more.

My interpretation of all this is, if 3rd Party Cookies are allowed in the browser settings, AdWords conversion code will work. If the cookies are blocked, it won't work. Google Analytics works with a 1st Party Cookie, so setting up goals or transactions and importing them as conversions will be more complete data.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Leonard, the fact is that on browsers with 3rd party cookies disabled, writing a 3rd party cookie is not possible but reading a 3rd party cookie works just fine. What it means is that on an adclick on google ads on domain=google.com, a cookie is dropped in domain=google.com and the user is then redirected to the advertiser site. Here, once he reaches the final transaction page, the AW conversion pixel is triggered which can read the cookie set in domain=google.com earlier and detect a conversion. Hence, the conversion tracking works.

But there is a downside to this, if between the google click and the conversion, user clicks on some other ad, say facebook ad, based on last click attribution model, the conversion should go to facebook, but in this case google will still attribute the conversion to itself and facebok will do the same - this results in double counting of conversion and the true ROI on google appears to be higher.

Hope this helps.