AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Conversion Tag Firing On Non-Adwords Initiated Submittal

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does an Adwords Conversion Tracking tag in Google Tag Manager always fire, regardless of how the user got to the form and submitted it (e.g. got there via an Adwords ad or through a direct website access...no Adwords involved)? 

As part of configuring an Adwords Conversion of a Contact Form Thank You Page loading, in Google Tag Manager, I set up an Adwords Conversion Tracking tag to fire when the Thank You page loaded.

I wanted to check and see if the Tag was firing correctly (not thinking about the Adwords portion of this), so I went to the form and submitted it. The Google Tag Manager Chrome Extention showed me that the tag didn't fire when I was on the Form page (as expected) and did fire on the Thank You page (as hoped...Yea). 

Then I thought about it and realized I hadn't gotten to this page through an Adwords ad, so I was questioning whether the non-Adwords-sourced Thank You Conversion would register in Adwords. 

Thanks!  VO

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June

Adwords Conversion Tag Firing On Non-Adwords Initiated Submittal

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Vince,

The tag will fire for every visit, the same as if you had placed the code directly onto the thank you page.

When it fires, it will look to see if the visitor came from a Google ad, and only report a conversion if they did.