AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Click Statistics - Ip Adress Identification

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why doesn't Google show Ip addreses that click ads on campaigns. Surely this wouldn't be too difficult with the amount of data Google gather.

It would be much easier for the Adwords account holder to see which Ip addresses are clicking their ads.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords Click Statistics - Ip Adress Identification

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

You can see that info in your server's log.

Cheers,

Asaf

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Pentland,

You're correct, this information would be very easy to display, however, as Google states here: IP Address Exclusion Best Practices:

"Note that due to user privacy concerns, Google Analytics doesn't report on personally identifiable information, including a visitor's IP address."

The same can be understood for AdWords.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

I believe IP address is Personally Identifiable Information and google by its privacy policy can not share this information wiht 3rd party.

more info at http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2549062

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

As others have noted, Google doesn't divulge IP addresses in either the AdWords or Analytics interfaces for privacy reasons.  IMHO, this is downright silly as IP addresses are a fundamental building block of the Internet (and the World Wide Web which is a layer on top of the Internet).  It might be more about simplifying the interface for the end user.  Oddly enough, though, Google does let you block IP addresses via the AdWords interface.  How do they expect you to know those IP addresses if they aren't visible anywhere in the data that Google provides?  Yes, the information is written to your site's web server log files.  It's fundamental data.  Google is removing a layer of transparency.  It's a part of the world's information that should be organized and made accessible.  See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_log

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

> As others have noted, Google doesn't divulge IP addresses in either the AdWords or Analytics interfaces

> for privacy reasons.  IMHO, this is downright silly as IP addresses are a fundamental building block

> of the Internet (and the World Wide Web which is a layer on top of the Internet).

> It might be more about simplifying the interface for the end user.

No, it's definitely for privacy reasons.  We take this very seriously, especially after some of the well-publicized slip-ups we and other companies have made in the past.   Personally Identifying Information (PII) gets a lot of protection inside Google.  For example, even though I'm one of the more senior engineers in AdWords I can't query the parts of our database that have your email addresses, phone numbers, IP addresses, etc.  We're even more careful about releasing PII exernally.  I don't think we'll do so without a court order.  (But I'm not a lawyer and may have that wrong.  Go read our privacy policy if you want the definitive story there.)

Advertisers and publishers can of course do whatever they want with IP addresses from their logs, though I would hope that would be spelled out in their sites' privacy policies.  But personally I don't think it's our place to divulge that data.

This is also the reason that in the reports on which queries triggered your ads we won't show queries with only a few impressions.  Queries that happened only a few times might contain PII (names, addresses, etc.) and we don't want to take a chance of divulging them.  (There have been some prominent cases where other companies released query logs to the research community and it didn't take long for hackers to find embarrassing data on some of the users.)

Laura

AdWords engineer

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I actually disagree with not showing IP addresses of clickers to account holders. While one is readily able to retrieve server logs, matching them with actual visits (possibly trying to match by the hour since stats doesn't supply visits per minute) is more than a pain... it's just plain hard, and beyond the realm of the average adwords user. This being said, I would like to touch upon the personally identifiable information bit. Most IP addresses of clickers are actually assigned via DHCP from their service provider and are thus renewed (I.E. changed) quite frequently. In fact, even if one has a static IP address, you would still need to issue a subpoena to an ISP to make the address identifiable to a person or entity, unless the address is being pointed to by a DNS server without privacy configurations... in which case google would be providing information that one could easily obtain via a simple whois query from the command prompt. 

AdWords users having IP address information would, however, be of great value in identifying bogus clicks from competitors and people trying, surreptitiously, to run up advertising costs. Not to say that google doesn't do a good job in protecting users of adwords from this... but I’d surely like to check up on it to see if my clicks throughout the process of a day are coming from repeated IP addresses and be able to add those address to my IP address filter, which google has so graciously incorporated into the adwords UI, without any way of getting address info to enter into it.

Just say'n.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey,
May I know whether google admob ads track user's IP address or MAC address too?

Best regards,
Pranay reddy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I totally agree about cost to click being a almost untraceable cash cow for Google with no guarantee your getting any of the results you pay for, I have found a number of competitors IP addresses repeating on my server log that I have had to block, but I can't see any refund coming from Ad words.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It would be nice if Ad Words had a IP tracker that reported an IP address that repeated itself day after day a clear indicator it was just some one clicking your costs up and that the notified you and gave you the option to block this IP address. My businesses customers would not click more than one or twice over a few days and then I would not need to resell them anything for some years due to the product I sell.