AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Click Count vs People Actually Visiting My Website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I understand the the number of clicks reported by Adwords (and paid for by me) will never exactly coincide with my Google Analytics numbers, but my situation is a little ridiculous. Over a two day period Adwords charged me for 94 clicks on my ad, but according to Analytics, only 2 sessions were recorded on my website/webpage. How can this be? I feel like either I'm being lied to by the Adwords report, or there is a major glitch between when someone clicks my ad, and then reaches my website. Can anyone give me some advice on this issue?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

There could be many reason behind this:-

1. Look at your website and see if all the pages are properly opening after all the redirections. Reason being if there is some lag or any server related issue which is preventing the site to load properly, your analytics will not be able to track the sessions.

2. There will always be a difference between someone clicking your ad and Analytics tracking the sessions. That's because there is no guarantee if someone clicks will surely stay till your website page loads.

3. If you think it's an invalid click activity, AdWords actually credit back the amount automatically on identifying the click fraud issue. You can also read this article on how AdWords prevent click fraud:- http://www.google.com/ads/adtrafficquality/invalid-click-protection.html

Also review this documentation for more info:- https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1257084?hl=en

I hope this helps!

Pankaj

Re: Adwords Click Count vs People Actually Visiting My Website

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Four,

No doubt, Sessions and clicks difference is huge. Apart from all the points mentioned by @pankaj1782  I would like to add one more thing.

Please check whether you have placed GA Tags on all of your website pages or not. Also, do make sure to properly tag all your ads URLs properly if you are not using auto-tagging.

Hope it helps !!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree wholeheartedly with Deepak on this.

A simple report to create in Analytics for this is a simple sessions vs. clicks and filter by source/medium Google / CPC.

If you send your Adwords Traffic to many different pages add in the campaign as a dimension to see if there is a particular page that you are sending traffic to that is loosing traffic. Have had this happen a couple of times on clients sites where the implementation of tracking codes hasn't been universal (typically the one that gets the most traffic....)

Regards

Craig