AdWords
6.6K members online now
6.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords/Analytics conversion mismatch

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've set up tracking on the page after a user creates a new account.  The Analytics and Adwords code snippets are next to each other on the page.

How is this possible?

The Adwords customer support people suggested that this was caused by someone creating two accounts.  This did not happen.  We only had one signup in this time period.

So, why is Adwords counting this twice?

Conversions_–_Google_AdWords.jpg

3 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @Josh S,

This is repeat rate of conversions from a single user.

It can be changed by accessing the Tools tab > conversions > click conversion name > Edit settings > count.

Example: if one ad click leads to three purchases, that will count as three conversions. It is useful for emommerce tracking where a single ad click can lead to 3 products sale.

Example: if one ad click leads to three purchases, that will count as oneconversion. It is recommend for lead tracking.

Have you recently changed the conversion count settings to one from every after the conversion was recorded?

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It already is set to one.  Thanks for reading my question carefully.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Ive had similar issues to this and found the only way to prevent this is to use the GA goal setup and tag manager for tracking to make sure it only fires when necessary.

When i add in the conversion pixel manually it does fire it more than once, which can happen even if they refresh the page, whereas through GA it seems to recognise when this happens and only fire the goal at the right times.

So I personally don't have an answer to why, but if you set up your site with Tag Manager (which is a great tool anyway), the set up triggers and goals between Tag Manager and Analytics.  You can import those goals into AdWords and I very much doubt you will have any duplicate issues.

Ps you wont need the adwords tracking code installed just to be clear.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

>>"The Analytics and Adwords code snippets are next to each other on the page."

If you installed both codes on the page - this could be the reason.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

A few questions first,

What time frame are you looking at here?

How is the goal set up in Analytics - a page view or something else?

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Without looking at your code, here's the most likely explanation:

One person clicked on your ad.

They created an account (recorded by both AdWords and Analytics as a conversion).

They cam back on another occasion and created an account again (counted as a conversion by Analytics because it is a new session, not counted by AdWords because it is the same person).

I would expect if you look at the timeline of the conversions in AdWords, there are two on the same day/time, and then the second Analytics conversion occurs later.