AdWords
6.6K members online now
6.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Advice for combing through a massive search query report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone, 

I was wondering is someone could offer some advice for combing through a massive 30 day search query report of about 3,700 search queries. All of these search queries are for one ad group, which I need to optimize. I know that having that many search queries for one ad group mandates that I go through the data and start establishing query themes in order to create new ad groups. My dilemma is obviously going through 3,700 queries line by line and grouping them manually. 

Are there any power functions in excel to complete this task? Should I spend time building an access database and writing queries to find common keywords? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ryan B
September 2015

Re: Advice for combing through a massive search query report

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ryan;

The Pareto principle is valid in this case;

20% of the keywords generate 80% of the clicks

Sort by clicks, and check the keywords which triggered the ad.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ryan B
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

In addition to Moshe's excellent advice (focus on the search queries that are providing you with your clicks so far), I would suggest that you check your spreadsheet program.

More advanced programs offer pre-set formulas or let you write formulas to pull out this kind of data easily, without having to resort to creating a full database and writing queries.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Moshe and Theresa. Your comments were helpful.