AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Advanced Analytics set up.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there.

If someone could help with this I would be very grateful.

I am pretty good with Analytics but this one is a bit tricky

Our company has:

• One domain for UK Traffic (example.com)
  • Several domains for some international traffic (example.nl, example.de)
  • Several sub-domains of our .com domain for other international traffic (se.holidaytaxis.com, es.holidaytaxis.com)

Regardless of the domain/sub-domain the user visits, as soon as the user gets into the booking process, they are directed to example.com/payment-details (then subsequently the sale confirmation page). i.e. all payments are made on the main domain (.com)

The Analytics has been set up so that there's one account and a profile for each international site with filters.

Essentially all the websites have the same UA number and the reporting is a mess.

The first part of the image below shows the current site layout. The second part of the image shows how I beleive the Analytics accounts should be laid out. I did the image in paint so it's not exactly tidy.

My questions are:

1. Does the layout of the analytics (second part of the image) look correct?
  2. What codes would need to be used on each website (main domain, separate international domain, international sub-domain)

I know this is in-deptch but any and all help would be appreciated.

analytics.png

Ryan.
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Advanced Analytics set up.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
What´s the goal you wanna achieve? The problems you wanna solve, more specifically?

(this may not be the right forum, the is one for Analytics, not so active however, feel free to send me an email, I do have many similar issues myself, we could do some experience exchange)

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Ryan,

Yes, that's a pure analytics question. The set up looks about right to me, but I have a question.

You wrote, "Essentially all the websites have the same UA number and the reporting is a mess.". Each website should have it's own id. That is "UA" followed by your account number a hyphen (-) then a unique number that matches the property in your account as each property is (was) added. The first property created will be UA{...}-1, the next will be UA{...}-2, and so on.

The problem comes in if you want to track eCommerce transactions on the originating site rather than on the check out site. In that case, what I do is (more or less) detect the referring site when the user first hits the check out site, make a record of that for this session, then I use the analytics code from the originating site. That way each site will report it's own eCommerce transactions. You still need to set up cross-domain tracking as it also forwards the cookie data to the check out site. Without that, proper attribution is not possible.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Pete

make a record of that for this session, then I use the analytics code from the originating site

do you mean that you use multiple account ID:s on transaction (thank you) page?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Yep, it's a very neat approach if one cannot redirect to the originating site after a successful payment.

When all accounts are linked properly, you can fire the code corresponding to the web property ID of the referring property.

If someone came from xyz.com, and xyz.com has the property ID UA-12345-6, you fire the conversion using this ID. For those coming from zyx.com, ID UA-12345-9, you fire the conversion with that code.

However, that is not always feasible, especially if one leaves a website and goes to a third-party payment solution provider, where one cannot tweak the server code. Hopefully, this is not the case for Ryan.

On the websites I work/ed with, many use an API to process payments and everything happens on the right account, and another part uses a redirection to the originating website to record a successful conversion, after a trip to a third-party where payment takes place.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi David,

You wrote:

"make a record of that for this session, then I use the analytics code from the originating site

do you mean that you use multiple account ID:s on transaction (thank you) page?"

That's not really what I do. Each web site that sends orders to the cart for checkout has a unique id. I pass that site id along with the form data. I read the site id and serve the appropriate AdWords conversion code and analytics profile id. When users go to our checkout site, it looks just like the site where the transaction originated. eCommerce transactions and goal completions all report under the profile of the originating web site.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your help everyone.

I am a bit bogged down with work at the moment but will have a read of all your suggestions when I get a bit of time.

Ryan.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I am getting a bit of track here, but since I have some Analytics-techies in the thread I´ll give it a shot.

Where are setting up roll-up-reporting, shooting same data into different account, and have understood that the recipt-page must load one snippet of code for each aoccunt for addItem, addTrans, trackTrans.

But what if these are run interchangeably instead, like this:

_gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-111111-1']);
_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);
_gaq.push(['b._setAccount', 'UA-222222-2']);
_gaq.push(['b._trackPageview']);
_gaq.push(['_addTrans','1234','Acme Clothing','11.99','1.29','5','San Jose','California','USA']);
_gaq.push(['b._addTrans','1234','Acme Clothing','11.99','1.29','5','San Jose','California','USA']);

_gaq.push(['_addItem','1234','DD44','T-Shirt','Red Medium','11.99','1']);
_gaq.push(['b._addItem','1234','DD44','T-Shirt','Red Medium','11.99','1']);
_gaq.push(['_addItem','4312','DD55','T-Shirt','Green Medium','11.99','1']);
_gaq.push(['b._addItem','4312','DD55','T-Shirt','Green Medium','11.99','1']);
_gaq.push(['_addItem','4321','DD66','T-Shirt','Blue Medium','11.99','1']);
_gaq.push(['b._addItem','4321','DD66','T-Shirt','Blue Medium','11.99','1']);
_gaq.push(['_trackTrans']);
_gaq.push(['b._trackTrans']);

Will that work