AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adding simple tracking parameters to fInal URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I get the final URL to destination URL change, makes perfect sense.

What I don't get is how to add simple parameters to my final URL using the new format.

The parameters I need are basic:

utm_campaign=XXXX

utm_source=google

utm_medium=cpc

utm_keyword={keyword}

mm_campaign=XXXXX

(I know google will automatically add most of those from AdWords, but I need them in my URL for a 3rd party call tracking solution to report properly.)

I previously did this manually with destination URLs:

example.com?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_keyword={keyword}.....etc.

Now after upgrading my final URL will be:

example.com

So how do I fill out this box to then add those 5 tracking parameters onto all of my search and display campaign ads at once without losing my current ad data?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brice G
September 2015

Re: Adding simple tracking parameters to fInal URL

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Brice,

You need to use "Final URL" and "Tracking Template" Fields.

Final URL should be your website domain, like "mysite.com"

Tracking template should something like "{lpurl}?utm_campaign=XXXX&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_keyword={keyword}&mm_campaign=XXXXX

Adwords will use your "Final URL" to fill the "{lpurl} parameter, so you'll have a match between Final URL + Tracking Template.

Notice that if you have Adwords and Analyitcs synced, you should NOT use UTM parameters on URL. This will cause data conflit and may change all of your data. Just use the same parameters, but with different names. Like, 'utm_campaign' could become 'my_campaign'. This will show on your 3rd party system.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
so in the tracking template line I will enter:
{lpurl}?utm_campaign=XXXX&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_keyword={keyword}&mm_campaign=XXXXX

that will solve the tracking issue which is great thanks!

I do have adwords and analytics synced. I plan to use the same source/medium/campaign names that are currently in analytics so it doesn't change the data.

I'm not familiar with the technical part of using "utm" vs. "my" or anything else so I'm not sure how that would effect the data.

Talking to the 3rd party system they were specific about using "utm." If I use the same campaign name,souce, medium will that take care of it or do you think it could skew my data that much to use "utm" over something else?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
You want to use UTM parameters to pass Analytics information about your campaign, like campaign source, campaign name, keyword and everything else. When you use UTM parameters inside the URL is called 'manual tagging'.

When you link Adwords with Analytics, Adwords automatically fills all the UTM parameters in the URL for you, and encrypt this information inside an another parameters called "gclid". When you click your ad, you should definitely see something like "yoursite.com/?gclid=CNalho357MYCFc4WHwodvV0Akg".

So what happens when you have linked accounts AND also use manual UTMs? You're sending the same information to Analytics, twice. This can change all your data inside Analytics.

Usually those 3rd party systems just need to have all the parameters within the URL address, to filter them later on. So as you have linked account, you CANNOT use manual tagging. You can solve this my changing the default Parameters Name for anything you want, so instead of using "&utm_source=Google", and could change to "my_source=Google" or "src=Google".

This will allow your 3rd party system to still have the information on the URL, but using parameters with your own name, and "gclid" will still pass all the information to Analytics, just once.

Hope I could clarify this.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That helps a lot thank you very much for the explanation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Can this be used to add the AdGroupID to the end of every Final URL? I need for some external tracking.

If so is there a way to insert in like {adgroupID}

Thanks,

M

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hey mike, how are things?

Yes it can. They're called Google ValueTracks and you can check a complete list of them here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?hl=en

You just use them on the "Tracking Template" field.

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I too manually coded my final urls in Adwords Editor to have the parameters. I wish I could take this back in hindsight. Using your suggestions above, will changing the final url in Editor back to my site url only, and adding the tracking template information at the campaign level erase my old ad data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to getting "Final URL is required" Error while doing template tracking