AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adding a lot of web urls to a Google Tag Manager Trigger

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All, 

I have been sent a large number of webpages to tag with several different Google Adwords Remarketing tags.  I would like to try find a way to make it quite easy to manage and quick to implement. 

We use Google tag manager so I am thinking use a seperate trigger for each campaign tag but could do with some guidance. 

What would be the best way to implement these 50+ urls in 3 different triggers.  Do I need to manually enter each url or is there a nice bulk import facility I can use for tag manager.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adding a lot of web urls to a Google Tag Manager Trigger

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Grant,

You can create a single remarketing tag and create a lookup table variable that will output the conversion id based on url hostname.

https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6106899?hl=en

If you could give more details about how you need this set up, I'd be glad to help with it.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

We have 50+ discreet urls( ie not all from the same sections) from a domain that need to be tagged into one of 3 audience tags.

I have created :
1. lookup table for each url group.
2 if there is a match with the path it will set the lookup table variable to active.
3. I then have a trigger that will show a tag based on whether that variable is active.

The problem with this solution is that it will only match:
- www.domain.com/webpage
and not
-www.domain.com/Webpage
-www.domain.com/webpage/

Any ideas?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Grant,

You can set up a custom filter in GA, choose Lowercase and select Request URI for Filter Field.

Regarding the missing trailing slash issue you can either configure your webserver to force the trailing slash or to set up another GA filter, you can find more details here:
http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/12/10/basic-google-analytics-filters/#Append%20Slash%20to%20Req...

Hope this helps.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
"You can set up a custom filter in GA, choose Lowercase and select Request URI for Filter Field."

How would lI configure the request URI to match those urls?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Please see below:

lowercase.png

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi - but setting up the filter will only be applied after the click has happened when GA processes the click.
It won't allow me to track the discreet urls.

Can you provide more information on how it would allow me to track 50 discreet urls out of the 100s that sit within my website?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Grant K
February 2016

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Grant,

I'd suggest cleaning up your URLs using your webserver configuration (to add trailing slashes and to change the URLs to all lowercase) so you can fire your tags based on the unique URLs.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I think that is the most sensible. and good practice.

Thanks Arnold.