AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adding UTM parameters will affect performance?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I need to add UTM parameters to the URL of my ad so I can track performance with my own system. Will it make the ad loose it’s history and lower it ad-rank?

Thanks!

Regards,

Leonel Frattesi

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adding UTM parameters will affect performance?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Not to a great extent, as ad group level performance data would still be available.
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Leonel,

It won't make you lose the history, but you have to be careful about double counting. You can look at this https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033981?hl=en to make sure what exactly you want.

Puru Choudhary,
Founder, Terminus
www.terminusapp.com
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Leonel Frattesi
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Leonel,
Add URL Parameter according to your requirement & track performance in your own system is better way to optimize campaigns according to your ROI. Changing in URL or adding parameter in your existing adcopies effect few days in your account performance. I'll suggest you best way to do this work through Adwords Editor. Because through Adwords Editor you can create New adcopies by changing the display or destination URL & don't delete your Old adcopies just paused the current running adcopies, whenever you required resume those once. Step for do this work in adwords Editor :
Open your campaigns in adwords editor & follow following steps:
Tools > Setting > General> Choose option Create new ads if Display or Destination URL is Different > OK
Hope this help you perfect way.

-------
Thanks,
Jitender

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Agree with Jitender on the suggestion.

You need to ensure that your system allows tags that need to be set for the traffic to be captured in Google Analytics. This will ensure that any traffic coming to your site as a result of Adwords will be classified accordingly in GA.

Also, please ensure your turn auto tagging off when you post the new ads in Adwords.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Jitender!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Welcome on adwords community Smiley Happy