AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Add location information to final URL in tracking format

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm looking to add location information to my final URLs so that I can include the country code of where the click came from into the final URL.

The URL's existing format is:

https://example.com/abc?xyz&tid1=value1&tid2=value2

I'm looking to append "&tid3=value3" to the final url where value3 is the 2 letter country code (example US for United States, UK for United Kingdom, CA for Canada etc) of where the click came from.

Thanks for your help Smiley Happy

PS: I found this page and I think it will be useful but I don't understand how to use it:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6305348

*** If this can be done, I'll seek further help on appending the city name as "&tid4=value4" where value4 would identify the city where the click came from. For the time being, this can be ignored ***

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pullkit G
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Pullkit G

Not really. 

Enter your landing page URL in the FINAL URL field (without the tracking info). For instance, if the landing page URL is example.com/abc/, your setup would look like -

Final URL = example.com/abc/

Tracking Template = {lpurl}?tid3={loc_physical_ms}

If your landing page URL is example.com/abc/?xyz&tid1=value1&tid2=value2, your setup should look like -

Final URL = example.com/abc/?xyz&tid1=value1&tid2=value2

Tracking Template = {lpurl}&tid3={loc_physical_ms}

Important - If your landing URL has a question mark in it use & after {lpurl} in the tracking template. However, if you don't have any question mark in the landing page URL already, use a question mark after {lpurl}.

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Pullkit G

You can use ValueTrack {loc_physical_ms} or {loc_interest_ms}.

You can add &tid3={loc_physical_ms} to track physical location informtion for the clicks.

So your tracking template will be {lpurl}?tid1=value1&tid2=value2&tid3={loc_physical_ms}

Thanks
Ratan Jha

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply @Ratan-Jha

So the url I should use for the ad should be like this:

https://example.com/abc?xyz{lpurl}&tid1=value1&tid2=value2&tid3={loc_physical_ms}

Is this correct?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pullkit G
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Pullkit G

Not really. 

Enter your landing page URL in the FINAL URL field (without the tracking info). For instance, if the landing page URL is example.com/abc/, your setup would look like -

Final URL = example.com/abc/

Tracking Template = {lpurl}?tid3={loc_physical_ms}

If your landing page URL is example.com/abc/?xyz&tid1=value1&tid2=value2, your setup should look like -

Final URL = example.com/abc/?xyz&tid1=value1&tid2=value2

Tracking Template = {lpurl}&tid3={loc_physical_ms}

Important - If your landing URL has a question mark in it use & after {lpurl} in the tracking template. However, if you don't have any question mark in the landing page URL already, use a question mark after {lpurl}.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @Ratan-Jha

I have edited my ad URL to simply add {lpurl}&tid3={loc_physical_ms} into the tracking template (because my original url does contain a question mark).

I'll wait for the ad to be approved and the results to start showing. If the results aren't what I expect, I'll update this thread.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Good news: It works. I'm getting values in the tid3= tracking code.

Bad news: The values are numbers like 9060988 and 9010791 whose meaning I don't know. I just need the country code.

Re: Add location information to final URL in tracking format

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Pullkit G,

That's how it will be reported. You can find code references though. 

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 5.26.15 PM.png

All references are here https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/geotargeting

Thanks
Ratan Jha