2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm running AdWords search engine campaign and Facebook remarketing campaign at the same time. Say, a customer clicked into our website through Google Ad but did not purchase, and then he or she saw Facebook ad and made purchase through the FB ad. In this situation, would Google and Facebook both count one conversion and the corresponding conversion value? If so, how to avoid this kind of issue? Use different URL?

Thank you for your time and answer.

3 Expert replyverified_user

AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong because I am still learning this topic) 

I think this has to do with attribution models, and most programs default to the Last-Click model. This means that Google will attribute the conversion to whichever the customer clicked last; in your case it would attribute that conversion to Facebook. This model can be changed to a couple of others (such as First-Click), but I would recommend reading this article on how to use the proper attribution model that is best for you: http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/multi-channel-attribution-modeling-good-bad-ugly-models/

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eddie H
November 2016

AdWords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Eddie H,

It depends on how you record the conversion. If you use the AdWords code to record the conversion, AdWords will claim it if the conversion happens within your defined window (30 days by default). And Facebook will claim it as well.

If you use Google Analytics goals or Transactions to record the conversion, then it depends on the attribution model you have set for the site. By default, it is "last click", for other than direct traffic. In this case, that conversion would be attributed to Facebook in Analytics.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

AdWords

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@petebardo;

Can you elaborate why FB will also record the conversion?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

AdWords

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Eddie,

So if you use Analytics, only one of FB and AdWords can get the conversion. 

If you use the FB pixel and AdWords conversion code, both will claim the conversion.

In an ideal world you could import Analytics goals into both AdWords and Facebook. 

AdWords

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hey MosheTLV,

I should have clarified. If you use the Facebook and the AdWords conversion code, both will claim the conversion, as @RobSkelton mentions.

Also, if you use the AdWords conversion code and properly tagged Facebook links with GA goals, AdWords will claim the conversion while GA will attribute to Facebook as it was the last non-direct source.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Pete, 

Thank you for the reply. I have checked the GA goals. The revenue from Google CPC is below the amount in AdWords by 10%, while revenue from FB is way too low than the amount in FB Ad platform by 90%. Based on my knowledge, FB will track customer actions after they seeing FB ad rather than clicking. Does it mean FB count conversions from AdWords since FB Ad was shown to visitors who came from AdWords and purchased? If so, should I use the amount in GA goals instead FB conversion value as an accurate one? 

Thank you, 

Eddie

AdWords

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

If the numbers between analtyics and the AdWords and FB UI's are so different in regards to the analytics goals/conversion counts, then double check your overall session/clicks reporting from those sources. In the past getting any kind of accurate FB PPC reporting in analytics was next to impossible. Smiley Happy A 10% discrepancy between AdWords and analytics data isn't ideal, but even AdWords reporting is rarely "Perfect".

Do you have any other conversion/sale data sources to compare the total analytics reporting to? If all the sales are through the website, and analytics should be tracking all those sales, then do your POS/admin sales totals match analytics? Double check everything from the top down, before you get into the source details. If analytics is broken, then what happens to the reporting if that issue gets fixed?

Tom