AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords only showing conversions for my tests?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

On the 6th of June I set up an AdWords account for a client and have got 135 clicks to the site from a very limited budget. I set up conversion tracking on an enquiry form through GTM but have not received any conversions yet, apart from two which I eventually did myself to test that nothing was wrong. 

The account is showing these two conversions, but has not received any others in the two weeks it has been live for. Am I missing something obvious here? 

Re: AdWords only showing conversions for my tests?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Regan,

135 clicks is perhaps not enough to get conversions for your client. If it was a single term with a bounce rate less than 30% I'd be concerned, but perhaps it's just not the right traffic?

Can you tell us more about the 135 clicks - match type, bounce rate, etc?

Ali

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Of the 101 search terms AdWords is giving me data for, 56 of them are broad matches, 34 are phrase matches, 4 are close variants and 7 are exact matches.

Bounce rate is showing as 75.47% in GA.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Regan,

That's a very high bounce rate, likely because of the number of broad matches but there could be other issues.

Basically that means only ~25% of your PPC traffic has engaged with your landing page.

I would recommend optimising your campaigns to focus on phrase and exact matches and test different ads and landing pages to reduce bounce rate.

Ali

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Would it be beneficial to take all relevant search terms and use them as exact (or at least phrase) match keywords?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,

I would focus on the top terms in terms of Quality Score that are Exact Match and have a low bounce rate - try generate more traffic from those terms rather than lots of traffic from broad terms - and see if performance improves.

Ali

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Great, I will give this a shot.

Thanks Ali

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Just to confirm though, does the fact that my 2 conversions are showing tell me that there aren't any problems between AdWords, Tag Manager and Google Analytics?

As long as it's not an account setup problem I'm happy.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
If those tests have proven positive and/or other channels are seeing conversions then it points to a problem with the campaigns themselves not in conversion tracking

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Great. Thanks Ali