AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords linked to Analytics and custom utm_campaign using URL options

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

The higher levels for a client of mine have decided to dictate a naming convention for campaign that show up in Google Analytics. Which include the AdWords campaigns I run.

The campaigns need to follow a pattern like:

group1-google-en-search-australia-mobile-general

Being a horrible format, and also one that does not match up well with the real campaign structure (e.g. mobile and desktop are the same campaign), I decided to try and solve it with URL options, tracking templates and custom parameters.

On the AdWords side this worked great and enabled me to generate utm_campaign values that matched what they want. This included some variations at the group level (e.g. group1), and variations based on device (e.g. mobile).

The problem I now face is that the Analytics AdWords report is all confused. It reports both the real campaign name and the ones I send. For the real campaign names I see clicks and costs (AdWords data), but few sessions (Analytics data), while the customised campaign names have sessions but no clicks/costs.

Interestingly, the customised campaign names still have the AdWords icon links and they do link back to the correct campaigns.

I'm guessing the issue is that the customised campaigns do not exactly match up with the real campaigns, so the data is not available.

Does this mean my plan is doomed to fail? Is there another way I can get them the campaign names they want without doing a massive rename and restructure of my campaigns?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tony McCreath
July 2016

Re: AdWords linked to Analytics and custom utm_campaign using URL options

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Tony,

One of the observation I could figure out here:-

1. In case you are trying to use Autotagging and manual tagging (both at the same time), this could lead to a conflicting report inside Google Analytics. As per the best practices, you should go with one methodology i.e. either Autotagging or Manual Tagging. Autotagging lets you actually accumulate all Google AdWords data inside Google Analytics interface smoothly.

Find more details in this doc:- https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033981?hl=en#how-auto-tagging-works

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tony McCreath
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Tony,

One of the observation I could figure out here:-

1. In case you are trying to use Autotagging and manual tagging (both at the same time), this could lead to a conflicting report inside Google Analytics. As per the best practices, you should go with one methodology i.e. either Autotagging or Manual Tagging. Autotagging lets you actually accumulate all Google AdWords data inside Google Analytics interface smoothly.

Find more details in this doc:- https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033981?hl=en#how-auto-tagging-works

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Pankaj, Good points, and another nail in the coffin that I can't get this to fully work :-(