AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords dynamic conversion values in Google Tag Manager

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have added adwords using GTM and set all value like

Tag TypeAdWords Conversion Tracking
Conversion ID
1xxxxxxxxx
Conversion Label
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Conversion Value 
Currency Code
USD

Conversion Value is set to 

dataLayerRevenue.JPG

(in above message its not showing I don't know why, so I attached image above for conversion value)

in Conversion I have created variable name "Revenue" and on thank you page I have added same variable in data layer, here is the code in php

<script>
dataLayer.push({'Revenue': '<?php echo $revenue; ?>'});

</script>

I have done debugging also in GTM and I saw value is showing correct and as expected.

Now the problem is that, Adwords campaign report is not showing that value in column "Total conv. value" and I am getting value "0" or default value (which was set in case value is not assigned).

And in Analytics conversion in campaign it is showing under "Revenue" column.

So please can anyone help me to fix this as in analytics its showing good but in adwords its not.

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords dynamic conversion values in Google Tag Manager

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Dhaval, how are things?

If I understand your setup correctly, I think you're missing dataLayer value on your "Conversion Value" field.

Setting the dataLayer on your website is not enough for GTM to collect data. dataLayer is just a a container for storing those values. Later, it's up to you to tell GTM what values it should collect from inside the dataLayer.

If the dataLayer is being filled correctly on page, go back to your GTM and go to the left menu to: Variables > Click on the Red button "New" > dataLayer Variable. From there, you will create a variable that will grab the value of your "Revenue", and then, you should be able to use that variable inside "Conversions Value" field on Adwords tag.

This article might also help you with it:
https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6106899?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply,

I forget to mention that, I have already did that part when I created that variable, here is the screenshot.

dataLayerRevenue.JPG

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Dhaval,

So now if everything is correct, you just to edit the Adwords Conversion Tag and add "{{Revenue}}" without the quotes on the "Conversion Value" field.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Leandro ,

I have already added that part also but still its not working.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same issue. Did you find a solution for it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Same issue here, conversion value is default on Adwords and I can't figure why. Google Tag assistant show the conversion value correctly pulling data from datalayer .
Even I have a Doubleclick Tag with the same set up triggering in the same thank you page working fine and collecting data properly .

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

One thing I forgot: with Google Tag Manager I can pass the value to Google Analytics, but I cannot to the Adwords interface... 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Davide, I had the same problem and I finally I could solved it, I hope my experience could help you. 

Early in the morning I figure that the conversion Tag was created with the conversion value
"Each time it happens, the conversion action has the same value" 

And it should be "The value of this conversion action may vary (for instance, by purchase price)"
Here is an example of the conv value config.

Could be possible that this is what is happening to you too? 

I made the change in adwords and re-implemented the tag in GTM and published the new version.
It took  something like 12 hours in actualize the adwords data but it works.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Yanina,

thanks for sharing your experience, but this is not my problem: the conversion has been setup correctly in the interface.

So I have no idea.