AdWords
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords conversion tracking with existing tracking code

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

Is it possible to use existing Google Analytics e-commerce conversion tags for a new AdWords campaign?

In other words, we're tracking e-commerce for organic traffic and other types of sources in GA using e-commerce tracking. Now we want to launch AdWords campaigns and track their conversions. Can we use the existing GA e-commerce tag, or will this require a brand-new tag generated from AdWords interface?

I'm almost certain we'll need to generate a new tag with AdWords because of the difference in AdWords and GA cookies. Any expertise on this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Brad

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords conversion tracking with existing tracking code

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Brad,

You can import transactions into AdWords as conversions. You shouldn't need to add any code to your pages. Conversions imported into AdWords can take up to 24 hours, so once you do this, always look at the previous day's performance. Looking at the current day's data can be misleading.

Oh, your AdWords and Analytics accounts will need to be linked for this to work. Make sure your AdWords account includes at least on login (email address) in common with your Analtyics account. You must be logged in as that account in order to link the 2 accounts.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author bradmcmillen
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Brad and Dave,

I did not know transactions could be imported as conversions until someone on the forum here pointed that out. I don't know that they have always been available.

If you go to Tools and Analysis/Conversions/Import from Analytics you will see the transactions available for import.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

Thanks to your both for taking the time to answer my question.

I found out you can import goals AND ecommerce transactions (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034306?hl=en), however, I'm also realizing there's a potential delay when pulling data from GA into AdWords, and you can avoid that delay and see real-time, more accurate data by creating an AdWords conversion tag that you install on your site.

The bottom line in my particular situation is we want to avoid adding more tags to the site, so we may sacrifice real-time availability in AdWords by relying on the ecommerce transactions we pull in from GA.

Thanks for the crash course on these features!
Brad