AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords clocking more conversions that have occurred? Help needed!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there

I am working on an AdWords account and I have the feeling AdWords is showing more conversions than have actually taken place. I also track AdWords' performance in Analytics and the amount of conversions in Analytics and AdWords do not seem to match.

I am aware that AdWords and Analytics track conversions differently, but my concern comes from the fact I have a new campaign that hasn't been running for over 30 days yet, but AdWords is stating 44 conversions have taken place whilst Analytics says 16.

I thought that at least theoretically in this case the amount of conversions should be the same as the campaign is only about 20 days old. How is it possible that AdWords is clocking over double the conversions?
Does someone have any suggestions on what settings I could check as I am getting none the wiser and I am not sure where to look to correct this.
Thanks

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July 2016

Re: AdWords clocking more conversions that have occurred? Help needed!

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi AJM,

This will always be the case. Adwords is not able to dedupe conversions and thus a click followed by a conversion within your time window (usually 30 days) will always be attributed in AdWords.

GA however works on a last click non-direct model as the standard. This is also deduped across all platforms which AdWords does not have at all.

So for example if a user clicks an ad and then 7 days later converts from an email, GA will give the credit to email and AdWords will give the credit to itself.

You can play around in GA with the attribution model comparison (eg last AdWords click) and see how the attribution changes there.

Hope this answers your question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Clynton,

Thanks for your answer.
What conversion data could I then "trust" more?
At the moment, I can directly link most conversions and conversion amounts from GA to actual purchases, but this is not always the case for AdWords. So am I correct in going by the data from GA more in this case to get a more accurate reflection of ROI for example?
I'm struggling to make sense of this data in terms of the successfulness of a campaign.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi AJM,

It all depends on how you want to attribute value to the various channels. If you wish to go with a traditional last click model then GA would be your best bet.

You need to remember here that AdWords has no sight of what your other channels are doing, so in this sense GA gives you a more complete view of your channel mix.

That being said the AdWords 30 day conversion attribution does have value especially when looking at optimisations towards finding users that are more likely to convert, so using it for more mid & upper funnel user acquisition.

Both have their place, you will just need to decide what is best in each scenario.