AdWords
6.5K members online now
6.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Traffic Showing as Referral

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I've got an AdWords/Analytics problem. I am running both display and search to promote a product in Grand Rapids, MI. My Analytics account and AdWords accounts are linked and auto-tagging is enabled, but I am seeing referral traffic (and conversions) attributed to tpc.googlesyndication.com and googleads.g.doubleclick.net. I do see a few pageviews from google / cpc, but far fewer than AdWords is reporting.

I found this article from Google that instructs me to see if auto-tagging is enabled (which is is).

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1011829?hl=en

When checking my AdWords traffic in Analytics, I'm showing click and cost data but ZERO sessions. What's going on??

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David F
June

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I think I may have found my issue. My landing page was 301 redirecting to another page. I think my GCLID parameter was dropping off during the redirect. Once some more data rolls in I'll follow up.

Re: AdWords Traffic Showing as Referral

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @David F,

Yes, that usually is the more common issue when data isn't displaying correctly in GA. More then likely, this is your problem

However, for other data discrepancies, double check your "view" settings in GA. I don't know if you utilize multiple views in GA to better organize your data, but if you do then sometimes individuals forget to toggle that view "On" whenever Analytics is linked in Adwords. So if you are ever toggling back and forth from different views, than some of them wouldn't be displaying all the data....

For Example:

You are viewing the wrong "view" in analytics and/or that "view" isn't linked in Adwords:

Make sure you are viewing the accurate "view" filter within your Analytics. And make sure that specific "View" is linked to your Analytics account. I've had this issue happen to me in the past. While you may have "auto tagging" enabled and your Analytics linked to that account...you may be accessing the wrong "view" filter and that view filter isn't turned on in your linked Analytics Account within Adwords. See screenshots below...

In this screenshot scenario, if i were viewing the "Test View" in analytics, then my auto tagging feature wouldn't be passing my UTM parameters on to GA because that view wasn't properly linked in Adwords.

adwordslinkingissue.jpg

Regardless if this helped or not, hopefully it will help you avoid other issues in the future with Analytics/Adwords linking.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks @Cameron R for the response. I had quadruple checked my views and confirmed everything was correct. I was on the phone with a service rep from Google for more than 30 minutes before we came to the conclusion it was the URL redirect. I just looked in my GA and I'm now seeing sessions for these AdWords accounts, so it was definitely an issue with the tracking parameters being dropped during the redirect. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Also, append gclid=TeSter-123 to the end of your landing page url that you have designated in your Adwords campaign. If the parameter is stripped after the redirect then that is your issue!

Solution: If possible, update your destination URL's in Adwords with the final url instead.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks again, @Cameron R. After your post above, I did some more research and found this page which goes into great detail for problem solving the issue I had. I'll post here in case anyone else finds this thread down the road while experiencing the same issue.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2938246?hl=en