AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Total Conv. Value shows double the actual sales value

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I have noticed a worrying discrepancy in our AdWords.

Total Conv. Value is showing double what the actual sales revenue is on many of our keywords. Analytics is showing the correct revenue figures.

I have verified the revenue and sales figures with our own back end system.

For example:

Keyword A

AdWords reports £1181.40 Total Conv. Value

Analytics reports £590.70 Revenue (half of the reported Total Conversion Value)

Our back end system shows 1 sale at £590.70 

It seems the sale value has counted double - why would this happen?

Thanks

Jonathan

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Total Conv. Value shows double the actual sales value

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello.

Do you, by any chance, use both imported goals (from Analytics into AdWords) and AdWords conversion codes?

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

Total Conversion Value takes into the account the Conversions (many-per-click) and not Conversions (1-per-click). That might be one of the possibility.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Calin

Thanks for the reply.

We are running the AdWords conversion tracking code on the site, and do track goals in Analytics, however I am not aware that it has been set up to share goal data with AdWords. How would I check this?

Do I need to keep Data Sharing Settings "With Other Google Products" unticked?

Jonathan

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Well, for one please check if you have any differences between 1 per click and many per click (enable the many per click column).

Then go to your Tools and Analysis tab and click on "Conversions". See how many conversions are defined there. If you have two of them, and each is showing you half of the total conversion value you see in AdWords, pick one and stick with it, and disable the other.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

Thanks Pankaj.

It seems that the values in Total Conversion Value are exactly double the Revenue reported in Analytics, so my feeling is that something is not reporting correctly.

Jonathan

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

This is because there is a difference in Conversion (1-per-click) and Conversion (many-per-click) as I said above. Total Conversion Value will include the figures related to many-per-click, so my thoughts are that this is the main reason why you are seeing almost double values as compared to your Analytics reporting.

You can read the difference between the 2 in this article.

Hope that helps somewhere!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Calin

Looking at the keyword level data for the example "Keyword A" I can see that:

Conv. Many Per Click - 2

Conv. 1 Per Click - 1

However, looking at our sales reports I can see that the user purchased a piano, then some accessories. The piano cost £505 and the accessories added on another £85 or so (we are a musical isntrument retailer by the way).

We only sold 1 of the piano in question yesterday.

Jonathan

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello.

In this case you should see:

- conversion value (one per click): 505

- conversion value (many per click): 590

But you should not see a total conversion value of 1080 1180.

How many conversion types have you defined in your "Tools and Analysis - Conversions" section?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Pankaj,

Okay that does make more sense to me - I am just confused as to why our internal sales reports do not reflect this?

Jonathan