AdWords
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Report: Sorting multiple columns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There seems to be no way to sort multiple columns in the Google AdWords Keyword reports. I know this can be done in Excel, but it would seem a very basic thing to want to do in the reports.

For example I the Keywords sorted by Campaign, then Ad Group, then by the number of clicks (or Cost).

At the moment it seems the only options is to export to Excel and modify the report, or have a report that is just a mess.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Report: Sorting multiple columns

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Craig_au;

I think sorting or modifying reports can be done only by exporting or "customizing" the reports using API

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

MosheTLV wrote:

I think sorting or modifying reports can be done only by exporting or "customizing" the reports using API

Seems to be a very complicated way of modifying what I would have thought would have been a basic part of the reporting function.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I think that the reason is that the reports are generated "offline", "outside" the online User Interface. Actually, the system "mines" the data using a predefined API reporting format,

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 5
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Craig, 

There is an interesting discussion going on with JoMo, Google Employee, on AdWords reporting. You might want to ask her to give you more insights. 

Best,

Zee
G+

JD Google Employee
Google Employee
# 6
JD Google Employee
Google Employee

Hi Craig.  I work on AdWords Reporting.  Can you help me better understand why you might want to sort on multiple columns?  Perhaps some examples of different types of analysis our issue-checking that you like to do that requires this?

Thanks-

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is already an old, old topic, but I have an example which I believe is relevant:
I am trying to identify the performance of particular ads for a single campaign. The number of clicks is a good indicator of success, however it means very little without the click through rate (it could have been served a lot more than an ad with less clicks).
In the same way, CTR on its own has no meaning: an ad can have 100% CTR, if it has been served once, that has no value.
Ideally, I would want to see my report sorted first by number of clicks, then by CTR (there are many other examples of sorting by more than one column which would deliver valuable insight)
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

JD Google Employee
Google Employee
# 8
JD Google Employee
Google Employee
Benjamin, this functionality is in our new report editor which is rolling out this summer. If you see a "reports" menu item at the top of the UI by "opportunities" then you are already on the whitelist to use it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ouh sweet!
I don't have access to it as of yet but I'll be looking out for it.
Thanks.

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager
This 2012 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

This will help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!