AdWords
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Location Targeting Issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm looking at the paid traffic search queries and keywords for an account that is targeting locations in the North West of England only. There are a lot of new sessions/users from London (the 2nd most popular location for paid search) even though the campaign is not targeting London. How much attention should I pay to this? It seems that London is triggering ads when they shouldn't even be showing in London. Any information or help is appreciated.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Unify Website Design l
March 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi,

Great question.

The first thing you'll want to check is to see if your campaign is targeting "People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location" or if you are targeting "People in my targeted location".

You can do this by going to your campaign Settings tab, select the All settings sub-tab, and expand Location options (advanced).

If you're targeting "People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location," Google could be identifying people in London as being interested in the geographic area you're targeting, and therefore is showing ads to them.

Even if you're only targeting "People in my targeted location," you can prevent people in London from seeing your ads you by excluding London in your campaign location settings.

I hope that's helpful!

John

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Unify Website Design l
March 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi,

Great question.

The first thing you'll want to check is to see if your campaign is targeting "People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location" or if you are targeting "People in my targeted location".

You can do this by going to your campaign Settings tab, select the All settings sub-tab, and expand Location options (advanced).

If you're targeting "People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location," Google could be identifying people in London as being interested in the geographic area you're targeting, and therefore is showing ads to them.

Even if you're only targeting "People in my targeted location," you can prevent people in London from seeing your ads you by excluding London in your campaign location settings.

I hope that's helpful!

John

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hmm.... geo targeting in the UK...we had that in the past;

Let me ping on that one of our UK based top contributors;

@Jon_Gritton?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This seems to have fixed the issue. Thank you!