AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords, Google Analytics and Query Match Type

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm trying to use Google Analytics' report Traffic Sources->Advertising->AdWords->Matched Search Queries to analyze effectiveness of my keywords. But I get strange results.

For example for the following search query "dvd cd copy burning software burner program window cd image video & audio" matched keyword is "dvd burning software", but Query Match Type is "Exact Match".

How this can be the exact match for these query and keyword?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords, Google Analytics and Query Match Type

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Alex D ! Welcome to the community !

Is this search term/query from a Display network Campaign , a google search campaign

or a "search+search partners"

Campaign ? Can you please post a printscreen in a Large image format
. You can just edit your initial message to perform the attach.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Adrian,

I have attached Google Analytics screenshots to my initial message.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the printscreens.  How is your keyword looking in the campaign setup ?

Is it an exact match keyword ? Like [dvd burner software] or did you attempt some combination between BMM and exact match like [+dvd +burner +software] ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have only broad match and phrase match keywords - dvd burner software and "dvd burner software"; dvd burning software and "dvd burning software".

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello;

A better report for your purpose would be the "built-in" AdWords search query report;

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Broad match uses synonyms , it is not a good ideea to use it. 

As Moshe said , please put a print-screen also with the adwords matching message, maybe the analytics interface has a problem.

The exact match message is not correct obviously, but I have never used search partners network, so I cannot diagnose why is this message. I think you can get a straight answer by calling google using the number from your country with the link on this page When you use keywords in the Display network campaign however "the matching" has a "context targeting" message, which is correct.

Use this link to contact google support team and please come back to the forum to tells us their conclusion :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206?hl=en&hlrm=en

If those search terms did not bring you useful visitors you can restrict the keyword to a broad match modified form , in order to prevent synonims and you can also add negative keywords.

For example "matched search query" no 5 contains a d162 , that can be a negative keyword since you are promoting a software.

"matched search query" no 8 contains "freeware" and maybe your software is not freeware

"matched search query" no 8 contains "nero" and maybe your campaign does not promote the "nero" brand

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately when I trying to get AdWords Keyword Details report I get only "Not enough data to show particular queries" message.

Anyway thank you for your help, guys.