AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Free Clicks Data Reports in the Dimensions Tab

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

As ads continue to incorporate interactive features, it’s important to understand the ROI of each interaction. Be it the Location Extensions with Get Directions feature or Video ads that require a mouse-over to play the video content prior to entering the website, knowing how customers interact with your ads will help give insight into how they research and buy online and what content captures their attention and prompts action.

One of these newer features is the “Free Clicks Data” report.

What information do we get in the Free clicks data report:

Data metrics currently measured include Get Directions, Display Ad Interaction, Display Ad Mouse Over for at Least 1 Second, Video Play 25%, Video Play 50%, Video Play 75% and Video Play 100%.

How to interpret the Free Clicks Data?

1. If you're focused on driving visits to your store - Compare Free Clicks with actual clicks to determine if your potential customers received the information they wanted solely by using the local ad extension’s Get Directions feature or did they click on the ad post the same to view more information about the business.

2. If you're focused on driving video views - Compare and measure customer interest in videos. If the display ad mouse over rate is much higher than the display ad interaction, a change in creative may be necessary to increase play rates. You can view  how long they played the video ad for before clicking (25%, 50%, 75%, 100%)

3. If you're focused on Display(Image) Ads – The display interaction reports can give you some insights into ads that are grabbing attention (mouseovers) and interest but not clicks that may require a stronger call to action to get them to click on the ad and view more information on the website.

If you have a high free click rate, it likely means that your customers find the ad creatives useful without actually needing to visit your website.

By knowing which formats catch the customer's attention and which parts of your ad content is more engaging, you can understand how customers interact with your ads and what makes them click through to your site to refine your ads to a style that your customers find the most engaging.

What if post the completion of the video ad, a lot of customers are clicking on the ad to visit the website?

Depending on the ad format, you'll be charged if the customer completes an ad interaction that connects them with your business or service or with the key customer interaction the ad has been designed for. It remains a free click so long as they got all the information from engaging with the ad and not connecting with the website.

Where do I view this data?

1. Sign in to your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.com.
  2. Click the Campaigns tab. If you want to see data for a specific campaign or ad group, click its name in the panel on the side of the page.
  3. Click the Dimensions tab.
  4. Click the View menu in the toolbar.
  5. Select Free clicks.
  6. Your statistics table will contain the columns and metrics displayed in the table for free clicks, impressions, and free click type and rate.
  7. Once your statistics table looks the way you want, you can download the data in a report. Just click the download button .

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords Free Clicks Data Reports in the Dimensions Tab

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Tanya,

Thanks for sharing! One usecase of this could be when we run banner ads with contact details on them like an email ID or phone numbers etc. We have seen very low CTRs for them and hence this kind of data would really help!
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey @Tanya K,

I just tried seeing this for a few indian clients and I dont see the columns...

Is this a beta or has this been launched globally?

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hey Shweta,

You should be able to see this option in all accounts as it's a feature rolled out globally. Whilst you may not see data under the free clicks report if it isn't applicable to the campaign basis type of ads i.e. Display Ads, Video Ads etc. as mentioned in the post, you should still be able to see the option to select Free Clicks under Dimensions > View: Free Clicks. 

Do let me know if you're unable to see the option to select this in your account or if you're unable to see data in this report even though the campaigns have ads that permit for data pertaining to free clicks to be collected (i.e. Ads that have a possibility of a customer interacting and engaging with the ads without clicking them)

-Tanya