AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Conversion Tracking or will Google Analytics script suffice?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I'm a little confused. In setting up AdWords, I would need to add the Conversion Tracking script to my site in order to track visitor clicks to conversion. But I think I also read somewhere that if I already have Google Analytics script on my site, I don't need to add the AdWords script, and instead just link the two accounts so that AdWords account will import the needed Google Analytics data to show conversion stats for my Ads.

Is this right?

Or would it be better to include the AdWords Conversion Tracking script as well? Will this get me more info, and more accurate info?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Conversion Tracking or will Google Analytics script suffic

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Johnny,
That's a great question and one that confuses a lot of advertisers.
The correct answer is to install BOTH. This will give you detailed revenue statistics in GA and in AdWords.

What a some people do is install the AdWords tracking code and on the "thank you" conversion page, they pass the profit back to AdWords and the total sale back to GA. You can get a greater picture of how well you're doing.

Also, while you're at this stage, I would HIGHLY recommend that you implement this using Google Tag Manager www.google.ie/tagmanager/‎

If you need some help with this, let me know.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Should I worry about duplicate data gathering going on by both tags if I have them on there?

Thanks on the Tag Manager. Never heard of this, and I can already imagine the headache this eliminates, the time-saver it brings, and the dollars is saves to get a developer involved every time I need something done with a tag.

On the Confirmation page, you're talking about including in the Conversion Script, a Conversion value as a dynamic variable right? I just read that last night. So I've been trying to find out what the server-side Cart Total variable is for Magento. I suppose the beauty now, is I can publish this myself using Tag Manager.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Johnny W
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Exactly Smiley Happy

When you set up a conversion in AdWords, just don't import it from Google Analytics. You can of course import your other types of conversions, but I tend to keep them separate.

The AdWords code will show the revenue data in AdWords and doesn't share the data with GA so there will be no duplicates.

So, on your thank you page, you'll have your AdWords conversion tracking code with the total variable in the revenue field and you'll also have the GA code. Passing the variable in is a little trickier there though. Plenty of documentation on how to do this.

HOWEVER, if you're using Google Tag manager, you don't need to worry about either of these things as it has in built "templates" for tags. So you only need to add your conversion label and ID. With GA, just your UID. You can pass the conversion value data using what's called "Data Layers". Again, I HIGHLY recommend that you go down that route. It might seem daunting at first but it will save you a LOT of trouble further down the line.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I would have never explored this Google Tag Manager route if you hadn't brought it up. Thanks a mill.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
You're welcome Smiley Happy
I've been interested and using tag managers for a long time like:

http://www.adobe.com/solutions/digital-analytics/tag-management.html
http://www.tealium.com/
http://www.brighttag.com/products/tag-management/

and a few others.
When Google announced theirs, I was super excited as I knew the limits would awesome. They are and so too is the product. It's evolved quite quickly and is extremely powerful.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hate to ask a GTM question here, but I get echoes and mostly crickets in their board.

When setting up a GTM and they say to 'migrate' existing tags on my site into GTM container, do they mean to delete those tags from my site, and recreate it in GTM?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Johnny,
Yes, they mean delete the existing tags on your site.

Use the debugger within GTM to make sure that all tags are firing according to the rules you set up. You can also use this awesome tool to verify everything is working:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey, got GTM up and completely running now. Didn't get my developer to add the data layer yet, but besides that, it is working great. Thanks again for the tipoff of GTM.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Dave, not sure what specifically you were advocating "Implement".
Do you mean: if I have Google Analytics (Universal) .js on the pages, that I could implement the Google ADWORD tracking with Tag Manager?