AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Campaign Experiments tracking in Analytics using ValueTrack?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Community,

I recently setup AdWords Campaign Experiments for a client that would like to see the effect of lowering keyword bids by 20% across the board. I used all of the existing keywords and set them to both the control and experiment group. The experiment is set to run 50% control/50% experiment. I added keyword-level destination URL's with a ValueTrack parameter ?type={aceid}. 

My question is, is it possible to pull the actual Control ID and Experiment ID data into Google Analytics so I can analyze web behavior in relation to whether it was a control or experiment ad click? I understand I can pull log data into a database, and achieve these a few different ways, but I have read that this may be possible using Profile Filters.

Destination URL reports in Analytics do not pull the actual ID's, only giving me the type={aceid} at the end of the URL. If anyone has experience with this could you help me with setup tips?

Thanks,

Alex

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Campaign Experiments tracking in Analytics using ValueTrack?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

In case anyone else wants to pull ValueTrack info into Analytics - I was able to achieve this by setting up an advanced filter and outputting it to User Defined constructor, seems to be giving me exactly what I needed!

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi,

Thanks for your question!

It looks like you may have figured it out, and I was digging to see what more we could find out for you here, but haven't been able to find a lot. According to this article (section for tracking your campaign experment towards the bottom), this ValueTrack parameter should work with campaign experiments and should pull in the corresponding control ID or the experiment ID.

If you are seeing ?type={aceid} in your Analytics reports, it's possible that one of the following is happening:

• You potentially put the parameter on a URL that already had a "?" in it so you should have used &type={aceid} instead
  • You potentially are looking at GA reports from a date prior to the start date of the ACE
  • Your potentially put that parameter on a URL that is not involved in the ACE
  • Your potentially have a whacky profile filter in GA

If you're still having issues, I think this is probably something that would require talking with someone abut your account specifically. You can contact us anytime and we'd be happy to help!

Have a good weekend.

Best,

Anne

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Anne,

Thank you for getting back to me, I really appreciate it. So are you saying the ValueTrack ?type={aceid} should actually give me the control ID and experiment ID in the Destination URL report?

Although I am able to see the ID's now through the filter I've setup, it's not reporting all of the data and I'm not confident in the integrity of the reports.

Here is a little bit more info on my setup:

I have a 50/50 experiment setup using a group of keywords that are both control AND experiment. These keywords have keyword-level destination URL's. We use a phone tracking software that relies on custom URL parameters, here is an example of what they look like after I've added the type parameter:

example.com?ibp-adgroup=CA&ibp-keyword={keyword}&ibp-custom=adwords&type={aceid}

So we have a combination of static and dynamic URL parameters specific to our phone tracking provider, and I've appended the ValueTrack parameter to the end of the URL's in this format &type={aceid}

I am only looking at destination URL data in GA for the campaign that is using the experiment, and my date range is set to 1 day after the experiment started until today. Should I technically be seeing the control and experiment ID's in this report?

I would definitely love to call the support line and chat about it, I'm just wondering first if I SHOULD be seeing the ID's based on the setup I've described above.

Thanks again for your response and expertise!

Alex

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author amartin527
September 2015

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Alex,

Based on what I'm understanding about your setup, you should be able to see a number corresponding to either the control ID or the experiment ID in the referral URL in your weblogs or within your tracking software (including GA). When you first create an experiment in your campaign, you can find your experiment and control IDs for your experiment in the My Change History tool. These will be the same IDs that are referred to in your ValueTrack tag. You may want to try adding an advanced segment in your content reports for URL contains [NUMBER] to see if you can find any URLs that match either the control ID or the experiment ID.

Does that help?

Anne

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Ah yes, that does. Unfortunately, this is for a client of mine and I don't have access to the weblogs which is the reason I've been trying to find a solution within GA. Advanced segments sound like a cleaner route than setting up custom filters, I will give it a shot!

Thank you again,

Alex

Re: AdWords Campaign Experiments tracking in Analytics using ValueTrac

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi AMartin, can you setup Valuetrack for me for my website? i'd appreciate if you could contact me if you would be able to provide some solutions for my startup website
Thanks