AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords / Analytics huge click difference

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hello.

I have just discovered one case when there is a huge difference between AdWords clicks and Analytics visits, though the accounts were linked long ago and clicks and visits are usually reasonably close.

The cause, for me was the following: the landing page redirected the visitors to the same page, with a different sorting (it's an E-Commerce website) applied.

So a click on a page such as /products/hdtvs/plasma-tvs/ redirected to /products/hdtvs/plasma-tvs/?sort=reviews&type=desc, in order to show the products with higher review scores first.

Harmless change by the shop manager & developers, right?

Not at all. If any of you have websites acting in the same way, i.e. redirecting to another page after the click, you may find yourself in the same situation, because both the referrer and the gclid parameter are lost during the redirection, and Analytics will mark that visit as a direct one.

So, just as an error in the Analytics code, or the absence of tagging may show you less AdWords visits in Analytics, so can an apparently post-click redirect to another page, be it a nicer URL, the new version of an old URL or anything like that.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords / Analytics huge click difference

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Calin,

That's why caution is required when doing your URL re-write and make sure you forward the query string as well. It's easier with Apache than with IIS. Of course, I use IIS and I'm not redirecting traffic.

I've seen a good re-write rule posted on this forum somewhere!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Indeed, I'm sure there are ways to redirect and keep both the query string and the original referrer. In my case though, they were both lost (and I cannot say right now what kind of redirect was used).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 4
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Thanks for this.
Zee
G+