AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Preview and Diagnosis Tool

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

My first question to this forum.

I have just set up an adwords campaign, and I have used the Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool about a hundred times to find out exactly how my ad will look. I have changed keywords, changed bids, raised the maximum cost per click to crazy amounts of money, and even googled my own company name, which is one of my keywords. But when I use the tool I all I get is the green message at the top saying "Your ad is showing for the keyword. xxxx.." but my ad itself never shows up on the mock-up screen, either laptop or mobile.
All my local competitors have shown up multiple times. 

Why would this be? 

Thanks for reading this.

Simian.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad Preview and Diagnosis Tool

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Simian,

Most ads are only shown intermittently by Google on the actual SERPs for the simple reason that your daily budget could not support the probable costs associated with displaying it each and every time. Well, that is reflected in what you see when you use the tool as described above.

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Lakatos.
Thanks for the swift reply.
I understand your point, (although I dont know what SERPs is.)
However, there are a couple of things:
1. My coverage radius is under 20,000 people in rural New Zealand.
2. Out of 100 tries, I would have expected to see it show up a few times in such a small population.
3. I have only 5 local competitors. They cannot possibly outrank me every time.
Simian.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello,

SERP = Search Engine Results Page

1. Every advertiser targeting NZ will cover your rural area as well, since it is embedded in NZ.
2. Yup, 1 out of 100 would be reasonable unless your competitors outrank you consistently.
3. Correct, but the national ones can and chances are they did not exclude your area in terms of geographic targeting.
4. As I noted above your daily budget may also be low to support your ad copy each and every time across 24 hours of the day. Usually it is the primary reason and not the competitors.

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again Lakatos.
Here's the thing:
In the tests, I tried different settings to weed out the competition.
I boosted the cash bid to unreasonably high levels to quash the competition.
Still my ad does not appear in the Simulation.
However I still get the same message in green.
It seems to me there is a disconnect.
Simon.