AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Preview Tool is misleading

V L
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
V L
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello.

I was told by Adwords support when setting my bid I can use the ad preview tool to see where I rank.

I found this tool is not accurate or there is something wrong with my ad. First I sometimes show for ads that say are not showing on the 1st page.  E.g my panel tells me my bid is below first page, but then when I goto ad preview tool, I search and I am on the 1st page.

Now on the other hand sometimes it's totally opposite :

But 2nd which more concerns me, I can never get on the top 3 lately. I even adjusted my Bid from $15 which was the norm, to something like $88 and waited a couple of minutes and used the ad preview tool, my position did not change at all.

How can I accurately know what I should bid. Automatic bidding doesn't work it sets my bids to something extremely low like $3.5 when the first page bid is generally $15.

I am posting here because the contact page on Google doesn't work for me, I click "email us" or "Chat to us" and nothing happens.  It really disheartens me that I'm paying all this money and can't make things work, but I want to make them work.

Thanks,
Boris

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad Preview Tool is misleading

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Boris,

The Ad Preview tool should be used to check the status of your ad for a particular keyword. Once you enter a search term and other criteria like language and location, the tool will tell you whether your ad is eligible to appear in that situation. If you want to see how your ad appears in search results, it's better to use this tool than to do a search on Google. You'll see the exact same results as a Google search but you won't harm your performance by accumulating ad impressions every time you look for your ad.

source: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/148778?hl=en

I am not very sure about the way you are using the Ad Preview tool. Although Google mentions that it returns the exact same results as that of the Search page, I have never used the ad preview tool to chk the positions of my ads in all the years I have been doing AdWords. I use it to see an ad preview only for the locations I cant test it otherwise. For example, I am in NewYork, but my AdWords campaign is targeting Mumbai in India with "people in my location" as the setting, I will not be able to see the ad from NY. So, I use the Ad Preview tool to chk on this.

The other thing I would use it for is if my ads are not showing any stats, which means there is some issue, I use this tool to help me identify that.

For understanding bids and ad positions, I would rather use the performance stats that show up in the interface.

Coming to your problem of showing up on the top positions, and seeing that you are willing to test higher bids, there are few options I would try:

1. Identify if the keywords in question are going to be profitable for me at higher bids. If I bid $88 on a single keyword, am I going to see returns from there. If not, dont try and rank higher for that keywords. Identify and bid for keywords more profitable for you.

2. Once you identify the keywords and want to raise positions, Raise your bids and let your ads run. Look at the performance after a couple of hours(if you get a lot of traffic) or the next day. Basically, gather a significant amount of data to analyse performance.

3. Use Automated Rules for increasing and decreasing bids for keywords with ad position as the requirement.

for example - increase bids for keywords by x% when avg position>3 taking into consideration data from the last X days. Here are some other common ways of using automated rules.

4. See my auction insights report - understand who my competitors are, see the outranking share, overlap rate etc.  You can use bid strategies like Outranking Share. This basically lets AdWords modify your bids for those keywords but will try and ensure that you outrank that particular competitor. 

Hope this helps! 

Please feel free to write back here if you have any more questions on this!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Supposedly your ad can't show above another ad if you are using less ad extensions.

There's a chance that is the problem if you are using few or no ad extensions, and the others are using more.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
@RobSkeleton,

Yeah.. you are right.. Ad extensions are a factor in improving your relevance & hence the CTR. Better relevance helps improve your Quality score. This helps with improving Ad Rank.
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!