AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

Does Google count it as an impression when your ad is displayed underneath the organic search results and the user doesn't scroll down the page?

Thanks in advance,

Mikko

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad Impressions

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Mikko, Welcome to the Community !

This was one of my concerns last month, I asked and received a couple of answers, and the conclusion for the search engine results is  :YES.

Then again, the CPM payment metric is only for the Display network, so you shouldn't worry too much for the impressions in the search network. A better thing to focus on are conversions that you generate.

The only way to avoid this is in the Display network by enabling the category exclusion "below the fold" following these instructions

http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/abovethefold.html

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Actually Mikko, while I understand what Adrian means, I would worry about impressions on the Search network since impressions determine your CTR and CTR is the prime component of Quality Score which in turn determines how much you pay for clicks.  If you've got Ads appearing frequently at the bottom of the page building up impressions without clicks I'd worry about it a lot.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Indeed Mikko, if the ad is not actually shown to the user, it shouldnt be an impression. Although it seeks like it its.

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
This 2013 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.