AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

About half of transactions missing from Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Analytics is only recording about 50% of our online shop transactions. There is only 1 completion/goal page. Missing transactions are from both paid and unpaid searches. It was suggested that Paypal transactions may not be recorded by Analytics but again about half are shown.

Any ideas?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: About half of transactions missing from Analytics

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi miker2,

Hard to say exactly why this might be happening - do you get a lot of mobile traffic? It's possible that all mobile conversions aren't being tracked because mobile browsers don't have Javascript. 

The PayPal option might also have some worth because PayPal is processed off site. As soon as the user goes off site their visit path will be broken meaning that the cookie won't track the user to their original source. Do you know approximately how many users pay via PayPal on your website? 

Also - if possible please send through a link to the website it will help myself and other experts try to analyse the issue. 

-M

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi miker2,

You might consider posting this question specifically over Google Analytics Forum. Here is the link to it:-

Google Analytics Forum

Hope that may be of some help!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi miker2,

PayPall is problematic for tracking conversions no matter how you do it. If the user does not return to your site for the thank you page after paying with PayPal, the conversion is not recorded. And you can't add the conversion code to the PayPal site.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello.

Apparently, there are ways to force a return to the website after a PayPal transaction: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/mer/express_return_summary-outside

Hope it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Thanks for this piece of imformation, Calin. I stand corrected!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords