AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

AVG POS

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Recently, our average position has been '0'.  Is this an error?  From what I've read, it should be in the 1-8 for first page and 9-16 for second page....

Any ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: AVG POS

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I occasionally see this as well, but it is very rare. I attribute it to "lost" or incorrect data. I see it in any type of ad, not just product listings.

When you consider the amount of data from all Adwords accounts, there's bound to be errors here and there. I'm sure Google strives for 100% accuracy but I figure it's only 99.9999% accurate. I can live with that.

Other errors or weird things you may see from time to time:

2 clicks and only one impression resulting in a 200% click rate. Probably someone clicking on same ad twice and the system hasn't caught it yet. It appears the system will retain this forever but I'm not sure on this as it may correct itself if it finds it later. There could be a lag of a few days if it does correct itself.

A conversion with no clicks. I've seen this twice. Maybe the system figures a click was invalid and did not count it. Obviously it wasn't as it resulted in a conversion.

In the aggregate, these errors don't show up since they get lost and don't affect the analysis among the thousands of impressions, clicks and conversions. It's only when you drill down to the fine details that you notice them. It looks weird but nothing you can do about it, you have to live with the data the system provides.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

@allhome wrote:

Recently, our average position has been '0'.  Is this an error?  From what I've read, it should be in the 1-8 for first page and 9-16 for second page....

Any ideas?

Can you share a screenshot with respect to this strange average position what you are saying?

Practically, it is something which isn't feasible. Try and think that if your Google ads will attain some impressions, Adwords will surely allocate some ad position to them based on the competition and ad auction process which applies and logically the ad position will be assigned from 1 to 16 as you mentioned above. 

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=14075

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm seeing the same thing however it appears to be restricted to our Product Listing Ads campaigns. It's consistent across all of my client's accounts (more than 15 clients).

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I occasionally see this as well, but it is very rare. I attribute it to "lost" or incorrect data. I see it in any type of ad, not just product listings.

When you consider the amount of data from all Adwords accounts, there's bound to be errors here and there. I'm sure Google strives for 100% accuracy but I figure it's only 99.9999% accurate. I can live with that.

Other errors or weird things you may see from time to time:

2 clicks and only one impression resulting in a 200% click rate. Probably someone clicking on same ad twice and the system hasn't caught it yet. It appears the system will retain this forever but I'm not sure on this as it may correct itself if it finds it later. There could be a lag of a few days if it does correct itself.

A conversion with no clicks. I've seen this twice. Maybe the system figures a click was invalid and did not count it. Obviously it wasn't as it resulted in a conversion.

In the aggregate, these errors don't show up since they get lost and don't affect the analysis among the thousands of impressions, clicks and conversions. It's only when you drill down to the fine details that you notice them. It looks weird but nothing you can do about it, you have to live with the data the system provides.