AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

ACE Experiment

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I have two ad copies running under ACE in one of my ad groups. My question is it possible for me to track performance of both the ad copies with respect to the search and display network? Which ad is better in serch or which ad is better in display? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kapil Mudholkar
September 2015

Re: ACE Experiment

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Click "Segment" and from the drop menu choose "Network"

Untitled.png

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If you change to Search only you will get even rotation between Ads in the same network, that is in Search.

The concept is still applied if you have Search+Display but it does not rotate Ads between networks, only total daily impressions added from both networks will be almost the same for both ads.

Any impact on clicks and impressions ? Yes you will get much less impressions but not much less total clicks.

Usually the ratio of clicks to impressions for display is under 0.5 % , that is under 5 clicks for every 1000 impressions for Display. For Search the CTR should be anywhere between 2 to 20 %, that is 20 to 200 clicks for every 1000 impressions.

Impact on the budget for turning off impressions on Display ? Use a time-frame for "last 30 days" select your curent "Search and Display network" campaign , click the button segment and view the total cost of clicks from the Display Network Row. That budget will no longer be used for Display.

It could happen that if you keep the same daily budget, you will get more clicks from Search if the Search impressions were limited by the budget and now Search has more budget. You can measure how much the budget was limiting Search by activating the column with the metric "Search Lost IS (budget)" , at the campaign level.

Targeting the Display network in a separate campaign is a better choice.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Click "Segment" and from the drop menu choose "Network"

Untitled.png

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Ahmed,

Thanks for your response. It resolved my query.

Kapil M

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Kapil,

Because your campaign is targeting Search and Display at the same time, ACE will not grant both Ads an equal share of impressions in Search or an equal share of impressions in Display. ACE will split the overall auctions to both ads.

This can result for example for the first ad in 20% auctions on Search and 80% in Display and the second Ads 40% auctions in Search and 60% auctions in Display. The results are altered because of the Network factor.

I still think you should split networks before running this experiment.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian,

What if both the ads are rotate evenly? Will the same auction concept work? Or it will give 50-50 ratio to both the ads in terms of network targeting?

By network splitting, you mean to create two different ad campaigns targeting search and display network independently?

Regards,
Kapil M

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

No, rotate evenly is a concept of granting an even  number of auctions between 2 ads, not between 2 networks for the same Ad. 

With rotate evenly you can hope that both ads have 100 impressions in Search + 1000 in Display  so both ads have a total of 1100 Impressions alltogether, more or less.

If you had rotate evenly and 1 Ad only, you will not see an equal number of impressions between search and display. This is the best test you can make to realise for yourself that Ad rotation is not a "network rotation".

Yes I think you should first split campaigns, same Ads in Search and same Ads in Display and then run ACE in both campaigns to test 2 ads how they compare each other in Search or in the other campaign how the 2 ads compare in Display.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian,

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

One more query: Do you think if I change the campaign type to the search only, will there be any impact on the clicks and impressions of both these ad copies. Will the rotate evenly concept still be applied?

And do you think it will any kind of impact on the budget ?

Regards,
Kapil M
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If you change to Search only you will get even rotation between Ads in the same network, that is in Search.

The concept is still applied if you have Search+Display but it does not rotate Ads between networks, only total daily impressions added from both networks will be almost the same for both ads.

Any impact on clicks and impressions ? Yes you will get much less impressions but not much less total clicks.

Usually the ratio of clicks to impressions for display is under 0.5 % , that is under 5 clicks for every 1000 impressions for Display. For Search the CTR should be anywhere between 2 to 20 %, that is 20 to 200 clicks for every 1000 impressions.

Impact on the budget for turning off impressions on Display ? Use a time-frame for "last 30 days" select your curent "Search and Display network" campaign , click the button segment and view the total cost of clicks from the Display Network Row. That budget will no longer be used for Display.

It could happen that if you keep the same daily budget, you will get more clicks from Search if the Search impressions were limited by the budget and now Search has more budget. You can measure how much the budget was limiting Search by activating the column with the metric "Search Lost IS (budget)" , at the campaign level.

Targeting the Display network in a separate campaign is a better choice.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian,

Thank a lot for your feedback.

Kapil M

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian,

One more query: What if, in the existing network targeting, display network is performing better than the search network. Then do you think the shift to the 'search only' campaign will backfire?

Regards,
Kapil M