AdWords
6.6K members online now
6.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

A problem with UTM tracking parameters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have running one Remarketing campaign with imported tracking parameters for each ad. I have clicks in adwords, but in Analytics interface the statistic shows me different numbers:
These are my utm tracking parameters:
utm_source=remarketing&utm_medium=banner-300x250
and
utm_source=remarketing-galaxy-tablets&utm_medium=banner-300x250

And the numbers in to Adwords interface are:
2014-12-08_1058.png

But in Analytics the numbers are:

2014-12-08_1107.png

It is for the same time period.
The landing pages are those that have to be.
The URLs are correctly built

Please HELP!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: A problem with UTM tracking parameters

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Alex,
You're missing the campaign parameter. This is REQUIRED.

Use the URL builder tool or a "tagger" Chrome extension to build the URL correctly.
You can use this tool here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

Finally, you're not using the source and medium parameters correctly in your examples above. Your source should be the actual source (like Google, or Facebook). Your medium should be the type of traffic it is (CPC).

In your case, the campaign name would be the remarketing and remarketing-tablets. You can use an additional parameter of &utm_content= to differentiate your ad sizes. See the link above for a simple way to do all this.

Hope that helps.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Alex,

I agree with Dave on this.

You need to manually tag your campaigns to ensure better tracking in your Analytics account. If you follow Dave's instructions and execute them, you should be able to see data in your Analytics interface soon enough.

But, you also need to keep in mind that the click attribution model for AdWords and Analytics is different, so you may still see a discrepancy in your traffic numbers.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave,
So is this the right tagging:
example.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=300x250&utm_campaign=remarketing-Christmas122014

?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Yes. That looks good to me now. Try it out and let us know how you get on with it.