AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

80%+ Traffic w/ 0.00s time on site, all display network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've set up two campaigns thus far in AdWords, the first one received 131 clicks but only recorded 26 visits (this was before I enabled auto tagging so I am disregarding this campaign). In either case, for that test campaign, I got 131 clicks, 0 conversions (which is not what this is about), but most of the traffic I received (which was not 131 visits) was again 0.00 seconds time on site with 100% bounce rate.

My latest campaign, I got the same results:

- 61 total clicks (1 from search 60 from display network)

- 99% of the placement URL's are thin, spammy looking and basically garbage websites (even the ones that had some time on site)

- 80%+ of 61 visits had a 0.00 second time on site and 100% bounce rate.

My ROI for two campaigns totalling approximately $130 is -100%. It's not even the fact that I got no conversions, its the fact that the majority of the traffic I'm getting is pretty much fake (coming from the display network) so I don't even have the chance to get any conversions.

Upon contacting support, they keep trying to explain to me how the data is legitimate and the clicks are "real" as invalid clicks have already been filtered out. Researched online quite a bit and found out that some publishers using bot-nets with hacked computers all over the world can click ads at random times on their websites, earning themselves money; and since its from legimitate people, it doesn't raise a red flag for Google. I know for a fact that the clicks I received were fake because like I've said, the placement URL's were all complete garbage, no clicks from any quality / semi-decent quality websites.

Anyone have any experiences like me? I'm thinking of not doing keyword targeted display network marketing but instead to do specific placements only, what do you guys think? I doubt AdWords support is going to do anything about my junk traffic so I just want to exhaust my account balance and move on.

Hello First you tell me that...

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

First you tell me that you can target bith Search anr Display network in single Campaign, if you do this then you can seprate out the campaign and create two campaigns one for Search Network and another for Display network. I can tell you onething about clicks and Visits. Click means user  see your ad and click on it but not visit your website in that case Google Adwords count it a click but Google Analytic not count it as a visit. That is the resion of you data confliction betweenClick and Visits. 

Second thing about your 100% bounce rate, its related that how user search term related to your keyword and your destination urls, if user search query releted your keyword but the Destination url didnt match it so the user cannot spend time on your site and your site Bounce rate is Higher in every time. I suggest you can chack your destination urls and changed the higher Bounce Rate Urls.

Thanks

Chander Kant

Re: Hello

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If you read my thread, you'd see that I'm well aware of the fact that there is some traffic that comes and leaves immediately... but my keywords were all long tail and actually targeted (and relevant) to my landing page. I didn't just have a few people not visiting.. but when 80%+ of the traffic has a zero second time in site and a 100% bounce rate... And to top all of that off, the placement urls for my ads where I received the clicks are all pretty much garbage, thin websites that are completely worthless and wouldn't even be able to bring a click unless it was fake because they get no traffic.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Futurepocket

There can be "n" explanations from "n" number of people out there but I do refrain from targeting the display network through keywords only.

The traffic is copious out there but the quality surely has a long way to catch up. You are right if you are pondering over targeting the display network through well researched/specific placements and later on combining the power of keywords + placements.

Its still hard to confirm the behaviour of the " click degenerates" out in the web world but atleast you would be aiming at a target contrary to shooting in thin air with keywords only.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author futurepocket
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I totally agree... I just figured Google's automated placements are not very good for quality traffic let alone any conversions. I think keyword targeting is good for search traffic -- but for the display network, targeted placements would perform much better.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

True, a lesson learned is wisdom earned!