AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

40 - 50% of Visitors are spending 0.00 sec on landing pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Experts,

I just ran a PPC Campaign for 2 days . While analyzing the visitors I can see that around about 40% - 50% of visitors coming from PPC medium are spending 0.00 sec on my website.

All keywords are relevant to the landing pages. Is this mean that some bots are clicking on my ads or some competitors are doing this to increase my PPC cost.

What should I do now. Should I report this to Google for Invalid Clicks.

Thanks in Advance,

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michelle S
September 2015

Re: 40 - 50% of Visitors are spending 0.00 sec on landing pages

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Michelle,

Welcome to the community!

First you need to understand how Google Analytics calculates time spend on page/site.

Please go through the link below (external link – I couldn’t find a better one in Google analytics help center articles)

http://briancray.com/posts/time-on-site-bounce-rate-get-the-real-numbers-in-google-analytics

If your landing page has all the information a customer needed, and there is no need for them to browse another part of your website then the bounce rate reported in analytics will be high and the time spend on site report will show 0.0.

Consider this possibility when you analyze your Google Analytics report.

Deepak

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Hi Michelle,

A bounce rate of 40% - 50% (= avg. visit duration of 0:00) might not be that unusual, especiallly if the campaigns aren't tuned yet. Bounce rates may also vary depending on the type of website (blog, ecommerce, ...) and the industry so it's difficult to say what "normal" or "good" looks like.

Although bounce rates are helpful, it's not always obvious what to do with them when they're high. Suppose that you have a keyword with a very high bounce rate but also a very high conversion rate, you probably want to tread carefully :-)  It might be better to use conversion rate as a measure of success / quality.

That being said, here are some things you can do to reduce a high bounce rate:

• Have a look at the actual search terms used to see if they're all relevant (to make sure that your broad / phrase matching doesn't match things you don't want)  You can solve this by stricter matching or by negative keywords
  • If people don't find what they're looking for on the landing page, how easily can they still find the piece of information / product they're searching for on your website? Navigation (breadcrumbs), categories & search box on your website might all help here.
  • Are there keywords with many clicks but a very high bounce rate?  Consider changing the ad or pausing the keyword

I don't think these are invalid clicks or your competitors interfering though.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Michelle

I agree with Deepak!

You need to understand the GA Calculation first.

As GA Tracks the two time:-
A.) Time when users come to your first page
B.) Time when the users go to the next page.

Then it calculates the Time of your first page=B-A

so in your case it is showing only 0.00 sec means the visitors coming through PPC does not browse/go to the other page.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Fantastic advice from @Info , I changed the duration of that script from 10.000 miliseconds to 1000 to measure even shorter visits.

To share my experience, an infographic that helped me understand the many ramifications of bounce rates is this

http://blog.kissmetrics.com/bounce-rate/

Also it is very important to activate bounce rates in the AdWords reports using these instructions : link

This way you can identify exactly what keywords have high bounce rates and take action.

I also use the Paid and Organic report to see organic search terms which can be used to replace bounce keywords  :

http://adwords.blogspot.ro/2013/08/analyze-and-optimize-your-search.html

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Thank you for the nice words guys Smiley Happy Hope Michelle finds the suggestions helpful!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
i have the same issue, although my bounce rate is even higher at 90%. all my keywords are relevant coz am mostly using exact matches and my landing page is a lead capture page. am waiting for more information before i change anything but any advice could help. i have 20 visits so far and no conversion yet.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

After adding this script to the Analytics code with a small modification for 2 seconds (in the text bellow) , I can proudly announce that I recorded a full week with completely zero bounces. The previously 50% bounces with 1 page view are actually many minutes spent on the landing page, many visits between 5 or 10 minutes.

(function (tos) {
  window.setInterval(function () {
    tos = (function (t) {
      return t[0] == 50 ? (parseInt(t[1]) + 1) + ':00' : (t[1] || '0') + ':' + (parseInt(t[0]) + 2);
    })(tos.split(':').reverse());
    window.pageTracker ? pageTracker._trackEvent('Time', 'Log', tos) : _gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Time', 'Log', tos]);
  }, 2000);
})('00');

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Deepak,

Do you use a similar script for the Universal Analytics code ?