AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

302 Redirect allowed?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For us to track PPC activity in to our backend systems, we need to use a sub-domain which sets a cookie and then does a 302 redirect. It looks something like this: track.site.com?redirect.php?KW=555&redirect=landingpage1

This will redirect to site.com/landingpage1.

Will Google penalise us (low Quality score) if the above implementation is used? I'm worried that the QS will be assigned to the track.site.com URL and not the redirected URL?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 302 Redirect allowed?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;
Since the landing page content has not changed, keywords and ad-copies remain the same; there should be no effect on QS
I recommend reading the following discussion that covers the topic;

Page Redirection Will effect to quality score

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Yes, you can use redirects but your best bet is to use dynamic tracking URLs with a redirect (302 is fine)

Have a read of this article:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549100#URLTemplate
Especially the "Using Redirects With Your URL Templates" section.

Hope that helps.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

HI

Just to add to replies by @MosheTLV & @Dave_Davis  I would like to point out that Landing page is a factor in calculating QS and not destination URL. So irrespective of your destination URL and domain of destinationURL you should just concentrate on landing page relevancy. 

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog