AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

100% bounce rate for successfully tracked clicks and visits < 1 sec.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I previously ran an Adwords campaign from late spring through late summer and then suspended it for a couple months.  I restarted the campaign with the same keywords and in two days received 10 clicks (2.5% CTR) from relevant searches that should yield some interest in my website.

Of 10 clicks, 6 were successfully tracked and all bounced in less than one second Man Mad

I have not experienced this before and it seems that something is wrong.  My ads and keywords are very targeted so that I don't incur these types of bounces.  I'm shutting the campaign down temporarily because I'm just throwing money down the drain with zero results.  Can anybody explain what could cause this to occur and help me fix the problem?

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 100% bounce rate for successfully tracked clicks and visits < 1

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Check out your landing page .Is it relevant to your keywords...

Are the products on the landing page are of same season...(means if the products on the landing page are same as current season)

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi SS396, the first thing I'd be inclined to check is that your Analytics code is working on all pages of your site.  All a bounce means is that Analytics was unable to see the visitor move to any other page so if the code is missing or not working, a bounce could be recorded when in fact they did visit other pages.

Were any/all of the bounces exactly 0?  A "bounce" in theory has no time associated with it since in order to record a time on page there has to be a second page visited (so that the time of arrival on the first page can be measured against the time of arrival on the second).  All bounces should have a time on site of 0s since the actual time spent looking at the page cannot be measured (because no second page is visited).

What sort of budget are you running for this test?  And what sort of Impression Share figure did you achieve during it?  If you budget is very low and your impression share equally low, you're only showing your Ads very rarely.  With such a small test (and 10 clicks is a very small data set) and a low budget/low impression share, it could simply be that your Ad was shown to a poor selection of viewers for this test.  For example, if there are 100 people per day whose searches would match your Keywords and only 10 of them are going to show a strong interest in your site, if you only budget such that 5 Ads can be shown per day it's very very likely your Ads will be shown to the 90% not interested, rather than the 10% that are.  It's always a good idea to run tests at, or very close to, a 100% impression share to get a better idea of how your Ads could perform.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the responses.

Jatinder, the landing page is relevant to the keywords.  My website is for a software application so seasons won't affect search behavior.

Cobnut, I also suspected my tracking scripts might be the problem but I checked and found no errors.  Also, if I permit tracking myself for test purposes, everything gets logged properly.

"Were any/all of the bounces exactly 0"

Yes, all of them show no time spent on the homepage.  Thank you for pointing out that visitors must navigate to a second page to get a reference point for time calculation - makes sense, I just didn't think about it.

"it could simply be that your Ad was shown to a poor selection of viewers for this test"

This seems possible after reading your post.  My budget is fairly tight and I got a bit worried after all my adword clicks bounced.  I realize 10 clicks is a very small sample size but I didn't want to keep putting up $ if I had a problem.  I had never seen this bad of a run previously but it isn't out of the question and I'll restart my campaign and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I concur with Cobnut, bounce means NOTHING if they don't go to another page.  They could sit on the same page for an hour reading over all the content and leave, and it will still register as a bounce and 0 seconds time on site.  There needs to be another page view or a signal sent to Google Analytics (like an event).  

In addition to these solutions, make sure your keywords are not too broad.  By that I mean, are they broad in topic, and also are they the broad match type?  Check your matched search queries to see what people are ACTUALLY typing in to trigger your keywords.  If your keywords are broadmatch, there's a good chance there's some irrelevant searches being performed that trigger your ad.