AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

1 conversion shown across 2 keywords? (broadmatch and broadmatch with modifiers)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, I saw something today that vexed me somewhat and would like a second opinion.

A lead came through today and I could see that the keyword was "something something"

I checked adwords and saw the conversion showing as 2, not one. I drilled down and noticed the following

Adwords had marked a conversion against the two keywords in the campaign/adgroup/

They are both the technically same, but one has modifiers

"something something" and +something +something

Since there where no more leads recorded as per what we record as conversions, I was wondering if anyone could either explain, or comment on if this is a mistake or if something else is going on.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 1 conversion shown across 2 keywords? (broadmatch and broadmatch with modifiers)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Steve,

What you say sounds like something associated with conversion attribution models. Give us more information if you can.

*** About attribution models ***
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6259715?hl=en

Best,
Lakatos

Re: 1 conversion shown across 2 keywords? (broadmatch and broadmatch with modifiers)

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Steve C

Has the actual search term data populated yet?  I''m curious what is says there if so. What setting is your attribution model on?  I'm also assuming you have it set to count "every conversion?"

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@David Kyle @Lakatos

Hi both, Search term data is there yes, it shows something something as an Exact Match.
Attribution is "Last Click" and yes, we count every conversion.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Steve C

and the search term [something something] is being credited for 2 conversions in the search term report?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@David Kyle

Not if I select only one of them. However, if I select both converted keywords, I can see two different search terms. One exact and one broad match. 1 click, 1 impression and 1 conversion each.

Oh and two separate costs, obviously.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Steve C

I'm not certain on this, but it sounds like the lead may have performed multiple queries that were slightly different, or even the same one, and clicked your ad more than once... perhaps comparing competitors etc.  When they got to the confirmation page, the may have clicked back and then forwards again to the confirmation page firing off another conversion.  For whatever reason, the data in the cookie was not processed correctly, creating conversions being assigned to two different keywords.   This sounds like a rare anomaly, but I would certainly keep an eye on things moving forward.

If this is a standard contact form type lead, you might want to consider switching to "Count One." In most cases,  these type of leads are a singular event and there is no value in having them fill out more than once.  You of course know best if that is true or not for your case.

I'm disclosing that I'm speculating what has happened.  @Lakatos or someone else may have more insight or even a different opinion.  It's really hard to say for sure without going through your account and seeing every detail.

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner
First of all, are you viewing the same conversion columns at each level of the account? How many conversions, of what type (all conv. conversions, converted clicks) does AdWords report for the same time frame, at each level of the account:

Account
Campaign
Adgroup
Keyword
Ad
Search term
Tom