AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

1 Impression=1 Person sees the ad or is the Impr. a false metric ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Is Adwords measuring in the case of impressions how many times the ads fit in the screen view via the "scroll" event ?

This can be done by javascript, but I don't know if it is implemented in the actual AdWords tracker code.

Is 1 impression equal to 1 person had the Ad in his visual sight on the screen or is it a fake metric , because 1 impression can be interpreted by a "thing" loaded somewhere low on the page, triggered even if the ads are not actually seen by a person because it never "hits the screen".

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 1 Impression=1 Person sees the ad or is the Impr. a false metric ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Good question, Adrian.

My understanding an impression is when the ad appears on a search results or other page even if the ad is below the fold and the user never actually sees the ad. I don't know that I'd call it a false metric because of that. It is what it is and you simply need to understand what that is-- a count of the number of times your ad appeared on a web page and not necessarily the number of times your ad has been seen.

Think of in terms of print ads. You place your ad in a magazine based on the subscription base and possibly news stand sales. The publisher will report impressions based on the number of subscriptions and news stand sales, but not all subscribers will even open the magazine and if they do they still may not see your ad. It still counts as an impression. That's why it's kind of important to monitor the ad position and adjust your bids accordingly.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes but since adwords ads are a digital product and the means to track impressions hitting the screen space are simple to implement, we shouldn't compare it to printed media. I just noticed a placement hitting 8.000 impressions today and no click since their adwords ads were on the lowest spot in the design, that is bad for them too since they are supposed to make money from ads.

Since there is the "Advertising product" CPM campaign, that only measures digital impressions of ads, there would be really important to measure if the ads were actualy in the "sight area" of the potential user or not. Without this measurement, whoever invests in a CPM campaign is throwing his/her money out the window.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is a thread discussing the use of jquerry for the "Check if element is visible on screen" function

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5353934/check-if-element-is-visible-on-screen

Let me present 2 more arguments why impressions should be tracking actual "on-screen" display :

1) Google is concerned about tracking users interaction with the ads in the form of "free clicks"

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453990?hl=en

"Any time a customer places their cursor over your ad, they are interacting with the ad, whether they click the ad or not."

If they are tracking the "on mouse over" javascript event, I would assume that they also track impressions with the "offsetTop" value comparing it to the screen resolution which is also an information collected with javascript.

2) Google is concerned to display youtube videos after 10 seconds have passed since viewing the video, thus triggering a level of involvment and surprise for the user. This shows that they are concerned in the impression to be actually an event "on-screen" and even more, to draw attention for the click.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If they don't track impressions as ads "on screen" , also CTR is a false metric since a user cannot click on something that is not "on screen" in the actual area defined by pixels from the resolution.

The whole concept of computing a QS score based on CTR falls like a castle of sand. You cannot compare a CTR from ads on screen to ads which were not on screen.

Can't a goolge engineer land his airplane here and provide an explanation?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Adrain;

To follow with Pete's answer; here is the definition of an impression:

• An impression is counted each time your ad is shown on a search result page or other site on the Google Network.

Note, that when using Google instant (ads appeared change as a search query gets more words) - the definition is slightly different;

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6320?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

A small update :

In Display Campaigns, google alows the "Category exclusion" for websites "Below the fold" as defined here

http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/abovethefold.html

"By excluding the "below the fold" category in your AdWords account, ads in your Google Display Network campaign will only appear when a placement can display your ad when the page loads, without having to scroll."

So there is a small indication that google does measure page scrolls, but still they don't specifically say if impressions are incremented even if they don't reach the screen level to get a chance to be clicked.

I have excluded the "below the fold" because it seems a good choice.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Adrian B,

To quote Moshe quoting Google docs:

An impression is counted each time your ad is shown on a search result page or other site on the Google Network.

Each time it is shown, not each time it is seen. I'm sure Google could do what you suggest, if that's what the decided to do. But it's not what's happening now.

Further to your statement that is is a false metric, all advertisers are subject to the same thing. QS is a comparative measure of your performance as compared to other advertisers in your market and overall across all accounts. I appreciate that you would like the system to be improved, but it's more useful at this point to understand how the system works as is and make your adjustments accordingly.

Pete

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, explanation accepted.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Thank you , Adrian B.