Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

California based Dentist - Share tips for success

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Today we're featuring our recommendations for a Californian based Dentist, who runs a Cosmetic and Family Dentistry and wants to increase their business’s branding, generate new leads, and increase traffic to their website.

Want to share your own helpful insights with this ? We invite you join the conversation in the comments below.

Hi @Smiles 4, based on the information you shared, we understand that your business is a Cosmetic and Family Dentistry Office that operates year round and that you want to generate new leads and increase traffic to your website.

We reviewed your account and recommend that you focus on increasing your click through rate (CTR), Quality Score and Clicks. Here’s a bit more about each metric, along with specific actions you can take to help improve your campaign performance.

Click Through Rate and Quality Score

• Organize your campaign into tightly themed ad groups: Ad groups are where you write your ads and choose keywords that can trigger those ads to show when someone's search contains your keywords. Every campaign needs at least 1 ad group, and every ad group needs at least 1 ad, but we recommend a minimum of 2 ad groups with at least 2 ads in each. Read more about ad groups here.
  • Fine-tune your keywords: With keyword matching options, you can control how closely a keyword needs to match a person's search term in order to trigger your ad. For example, you can use broad match to show your ad to a wider audience, or exact match to hone in on specific groups of customers. Learn more about the different match types here.
  • Choose relevant keywords: Your keywords should be closely related to what you're advertising in your ad text and offering on your site. Keywords of 2 or 3 words tend to work most effectively. Find out more here.
  • Filter out irrelevant keywords: You can use [negative keywords] to filter out terms that aren't relevant to your business. Negative keywords prevent Google from showing your ad to anyone searching for that phrase. Find out more about negative keywords here.

Clicks

• Make sure you're bidding competitively: AdWords can automatically manage your bids for you to help bring you the most possible clicks within your budget. Learn more here.
  • Adjust your bid by location: A location bid adjustment allows you to raise or lower your bid for searches that occur in specific geographic areas. If clicks from certain places are worth more to you, try setting a location bid adjustment to show your ads more frequently there. Learn more about location bid adjustments here.

We hope these tips will help you succeed with AdWords. Feel free to share additional information such as your website, and the copy of your ads if you wish. If you have any further questions, just reply to this post and our community of Googlers and Experts will be happy to assist.

Kathleen

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: [Case Study] California based Dentist

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Kathleen,

I have a question.

Do location bid adjustments show ads more frequently, or do they show ads at a higher position on the page (which could lead to increased impressions, but not necessarily)?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Kathleen,

Smiles 4 - They should cross check the Hour of Day Report and schedule their campaign according to the Hourly Performance Data and they can also adjust the bid (increase/decrease) on the basis of Day of Week report from Dimension Tab. Click Here

Bid Adjustment as per Device Performance Report - They should cross check the device performance report and adjust the bid on devices according to the performance data for all the campaigns. Click Here

Ad Extensions - Ad Extensions help them to highlight their Services USPs, Offer, Additional features. If they are are using Sitelink, Callout, Snippet (they can optimize according to the performance) and

Call Extensions can help them to drive more calls for their services.
Locations Extensions can help also to locate their business easily to the Users.

If they are not using the Ad Extensions then they should use in their account. Click Here

Expanded Text Ads - They should use this feature because this will help them to write more about their services in the Text Ads. Click Here

Brand Keywords - They should create one Ad Groups with their brand related keywords because these keywords will help them drive more leads in lowest CPA and also help them in brand awareness on Google search. 

Remarketing - If they are not running remarketing campaign then they should run remarketing campaign for those users who already visit but never enquire about their business. This will also help them to acquire more customers. Click Here

I hope this will help Smiles 4 to optimize and improve the campaigns performance.

Thanks,

Anand

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I wonder whether or not @Smiles 4 could share some stats and pinpoint a few issues where he thinks he needs some reinforcement. Going interactive with the account manager could greatly enhance the efficiency of our nursing activities in this thread.

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The impression count on my ad seems low - It's about 100 and the ad has been active for over a week. The no. of clicks was zero until I increased the bid amount for many of the keywords. Online advertising is new to me and I'm not sure if spending over $5 for a website click is money well spent, since at this point in time I don't know how many of those clicks will result in an actual conversion (a patient making an appointment). Maybe this is all Marketing 101.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi @Smiles 4,

I will recommend to adding more relevant keywords as Kathleen has already suggestion in the initial post.

Health & Medical

Click to Conversion Rate in Search Network - 2.5% & Display Network - 0.75%

Thanks,
Anand

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Having worked with a dentist in the past I can offer one quick tip...

Take a look at the time of day /day of week reports.

We found that Monday morning was a great time to advertise aggressively.

what we decided was happening was that many people were getting a toothache during the week and because (let's face it) no-one likes going to the dentist, they were putting it off, hoping that it would somehow fix itself (been there myself) and then it just got worse and , whoops - it's the weekend.

After a weekend of suffering, they are on the phone first thing Monday trying to get an appointment. We even ran ads promising to "try and squeeze you in today" - which worked well.

We found that the conversion rates (if you are not tracking phone calls you need to start immediately) were well into the double figures, so $5 a click isn't bad. you are going to be able to get an appointment with most of the people that call, so your conversion rate of call to appointment could be well above 50% - which means you might be looking at appointments costing in the region of $30... as a dentist - and given the probability of repeat visits - you should be able to make that work!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Just echoing some of the above said.

Had client in Us Midwest early 2014 where the avg CPC was $4.72, conversion rate was around 20% which resulted in CPA values just above $20. I am not sure how many calls they could turn into a client but my best guess is around half of them as said above. Note that avg ad position was 4.3.

Now 2 years have passed, California is more expensive than the Midwest and as of Feb current year Google drastically cut back on the number of available ad positions on SERPs, all of which may entail higher prices.

Now at @Smiles 4

The traffic you mentioned is absolutely nothing. Zero, nada. I may sound a bit aggressive, however, I would probably start with a bid=$8 or a bit higher. It's better to gather some stats rapidly and learn lessons to reduce costs later, than idly waiting and being kept wondering for ages in vain. -  The ad copy should of course be very compelling. I assume factors not mentioned above are okay, like e.g. geo and initial keywords. I also assume this is a search only campaign, with no mobile bid adjustments applied currently. If you are unsure please react with a reply before acting. (Some additional factors were also mentioned above that could come as refinement later. First we'd need some stats to conclude opinions from.)

One more note to @Smiles 4 We of course do not know how much income is generated by a session in cosmetic surgery or dentistry in your surrounding. Your best strategy, however, may be if you allow around 20% for marketing costs in your mind. However, you are not required to disclose any such data. Just I mean thinking that way will likely bring the most fruits.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Smiles 4,

Could you perhaps share any updates with us in regard to how you are getting on with the campaign?

Best,

Lakatos

California based Dentist - Share tips for success

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Lakatos, 

I appreciate your insights so far.

Here's a quick update on where we currently stand. The new campaign has been active for about 3 weeks. A Google Adwords expert helped me refine my previously created (also helped by Google) campaign. 

Total Clicks : 28

Impressions: 1228

Avg CTR : 2.29%

Avg CPC : $4.84

Avg Pos: 3.4

Total Patient conversions so far: 0

I'm not sure if the above numbers are limited by budget, but I'm a bit gun shy now. Apart from increasing the budget (I'm not sure if the above numbers indicate if it's a budget issue - 0 calls from 28 clicks), any other tips?

Experts in the Topic
RobSkelton
stickleback
Lakatos
KathleenG