Stay up-to-date on the latest AdWords features and changes
Guide Me
star_border

Re: Updates to the Keyword Planner Tool

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 141
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our MCC is affected. We have individual customer accounts within our MCC which presumably meet the higher spend threshold, whatever that is, which can still use the keyword planner properly. If however we're researching for a new customer and try to use the planner at the MCC account level, our data is limited to ranges. We get this with the first keyword search of the day, so we can't possibly have reached any limit on searches. Totally useless. This really needs to be resolved in a hurry for agencies.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 142
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Cassie:
This morning I noticed that I cannot access the Keyword Planner tool even when I am running a campaign. Last night I was able to enter with difficulties, but today I can't. What is going on?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 143
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Not in the least bit happy about throttling Keyword Planner data for low spending AdWords accounts. In fact really angry!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 144
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Haha @CassieH - you shouldn't have revealed your hand. So now we know that you're lurking this thread and editing people's posts, but you're not responding with any legitimate information. What's up?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 145
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
so how many times can you use keyword planner for a search before it triggers the limited data view? I can't make a decision now using this ridiculous volume data range - if I use a word or phrase and I see there is LOW competition with 90,000 monthly searches then I could consider taking out an ad but if my limited view shows me 1k-100k for the same word/phrase, how do I make an informed decision? I am just starting but it seems that Google is discriminating against small entrepreneurs and are only interested in us blindly spending our hard earned money or just want to work with the big guns.

Community Manager
# 146
Community Manager

@Pedro S@Mandy C, & @PPC S there is currently a known technical issue with the Keyword Planner that is triggering an error message for advertisers with active campaigns. The engineering team is working on it now, and I'll update this thread when it has been resolved.

@Aaron T I don't have any specific spend requirements or data limit amounts that I can share, and there are no changes planned at this time. 

@Alli B Most advertisers with active campaigns will not be affected by this change. If you are just starting out and not sure which keywords to bid on in a brand new account, I would recommend following the steps I posted here. This is the recommended way to do research for new keywords.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 147
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@CassieH You can't just tell people there is now a spend limit for accessing actual data and then not tell them what that spend limit is. Very disappointed in how Google is handling this.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 148
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Just catching up on this issue (because I rarely use KW Planner) and I've read this thread from start to finish. I'm shocked by all the negativity, sense of entitlement, and outright hostility over this.

The argument that it hurts small business is false. The majority of my clients are small businesses, with quite a few spending < 1k/month. The argument that it hurts small agencies is false. I'm a one man shop, always have been, always will be,  and I have no problem. I just checked from a client account that spends $20/month tops and I got specific volume data. Just to test, I created a brand new account, and also was given specific volume data.  In combination, my MCC does manage enough to be a Google Partner, but it's not large volume by any means. The minimum managed spend for Partner status is $10k in a 90 period. That's peanuts for anyone making a full-time effort at this. 

I think @Chris M made the smartest statement in this thread. What does having these exact numbers really do for you? Is it really that vital for executing a successful campaign?  My answer is no. Like Chris, I started my Adwords consulting business when keyword planner just spit out a monthly bar graph with no numbers. Like Trends is now, it was just relative data, and I did just fine with it.  I had no problem growing into a full-time business without access to specific keyword volume.

I don't think there is a hard spend limit, or even a hard use limit.  I think it's all relative to how it's being used in your account. If you're using it for Adwords campaigns only like I do, then you won't have a problem.   If you're using it for something else, like SEO, sales, etc. you really should not complain because that's not what it's for. Cassie made an excellent post on how new people/accounts having an issue should do KW research/planning. Most businesses, especially small ones do not need such specific information.  

If you really believe you cannot get along without it and do a good job managing PPC accounts, you might have picked the wrong profession.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 149
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I think  this is not only your problem.. I'm also facing similar issues. The keyword planner updation has no value..

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 150
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Now this is the problem for everyone. Still i am confuse what google want to do.. is google planing that keyword planner will be paid version...

Can any one solve the problem..
Experts in the Topic
Archit
Lakatos
CassieH