Stay up-to-date on the latest AdWords features and changes
Guide Me
star_border

Re: Updates to the Keyword Planner Tool

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 81
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is your amount $50? Is that your limit before the data becomes 100% available? That is not too bad at all.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 82
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks for the update,

Community Manager
# 83
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

We recently made a change to Keyword Planner that shows search volume data ranges based on spend and how you use the tool. This change aims to prevent “bots” from submitting an overwhelming number of searches in Keyword Planner, which was slowing down the tool and occasionally causing errors that prevented people from using the tool.

We’ve heard your feedback that this limited view of search volume makes it difficult to plan new Search Network campaigns. In these cases, we recommend taking advantage of the forecasting feature in Keyword Planner. While search volume gives you a sense of the market size, other settings such as bid, budget, device, and more, affect how much of this search volume a single advertiser can receive. Forecasts, on the other hand, let you customize these settings for a more comprehensive view of how keywords might perform.

For help setting a budget or deciding which keywords to use in your campaign, follow these steps:

1. Sign in to your Adwords account at http://adwords.google.com/KeywordPlanner
  2. Click Search for new keywords using a phrase, website or category and enter or paste keywords related to your business or service
  3. Click Get ideas
  4. Find the keywords relevant to your business and click Add to plan on the right
  5. Click Review plan on the right to see forecasts for the keywords in your plan
    • From here, you can enter different bids and budgets and see detailed forecasts for your keywords, including impressions, clicks, and cost
    • You can also view forecasts by location or device to see how bid multipliers affect performance, or enter your expected conversion rates and values to maximize your return
    • To remove keywords and update your forecast, click the Keyword tab, check the boxes next to the keywords you’d like to remove, then select Selected from the “Delete keywords” section of the Edit drop-down
    • If your forecasts don’t reflect your click or cost goals, select Back to search from the top right to find more keywords and add them to your plan
  6. Once you’re happy with your plan, you can download your forecasts or save the plan to your account

To learn more, watch our video, Using Keyword Planner in AdWords.

We hope the forecasting feature helps you get deeper insights into new keywords when planning your campaigns. We welcome your feedback as we continually improve Keyword Planner.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 84
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
For small businesses trying to make these decisions, when our entire list of Keyword Ideas has Avg. Monthly Searches: 100 – 1K... I'm really no closer to determining which we should target, even taking into account the Competition, Suggested Bid, etc. I don't know which ones are getting 101 Avg. Searches/Month and which are getting 999 Avg. Searches/Month. That is a very wide range.

The forecasting feature is really helpful. But all I really got out of your post was, "We’ve heard your feedback that this limited view of search volume makes it difficult to plan, and decided to ignore it."

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 85
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Cassie, could you please explain how come a word with 320 average searches a month provides 2,000 impresions per month?

From trends and search volumeFrom trends and search volumeFrom budget previsionFrom budget prevision

Community Manager
# 86
Community Manager
Hi Luis,

Thanks for asking. Just to confirm, are these two screenshots from different sections of the Keyword Planner (i.e. one from past trends, the other from the forecasting section)? If so, then the impressions and clicks in one will rarely line up with the average monthly searches/clicks in another because the two reports are providing two distinct estimates; one for past trends, and the other for future expected trends. In this case, it looks like the system expects searches for this term to increase in the future.

Does that makes sense? Please let me know if you have additional questions, or if your question is different and I'll do my best to help.
Cassie

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 87
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Cassie, thanks for the reply.
Yes you are correct, the screenshots are from different sections.
I m just surprised because the past trend is 320 searches per month and the projection is 2,000 expected searches per month.
A seven fold increase, sounds like too much.
Regards,

Luis

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 88
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Who exactly are we talking about?

Who is running these bots that are overwhelming Google's data centers?

SEO tool companies?

I have an AdWords account that has never had a spend. I sometimes use the keyword tool. I don't use a bot, so what is the rationale for degrading my data?

If Google has a problem with bots, why implement a solution that affects people who are not using bots?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 89
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
This is not helping. Also a former update where much alike keywords like 'white shoe' and 'white shoes'' bot h get the same monthly search volume is also a big and ridicule step back.
In the former situation 'white shoe' got a volume of lets say 10 and 'white shoes'' got lets say 1000. In current situation both words get a search volume of 1010! That not true for both words in the current situation. I know you want us to advertise as broad as possible to make the most out your money-maker, but this is not in the advantage of advertisers who want to use exact match only. Dont do evel.

Community Manager
# 90
Community Manager

@Luis M C Thanks for the additional info, Luis. This has been escalated to our technical team and they will look into this discrepancy.

Cassie

Experts in the Topic
Archit
Lakatos
CassieH