Guide Me
favorite_border

Updates to the Keyword Planner Tool

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi AdWords Community,

As of this week, previous technical issues affecting the Keyword Planner tool are now resolved. Some important updates to keep in mind:

• Most advertisers will see search volume data in Keyword Planner as usual.
  • Advertisers with lower monthly spend may see a limited data view in the Keyword Planner. For example, you may see values such as 0, 1-100, 100-1K, 1K-10K, 10K-100K, 100K-1M, 1M+ in the average monthly searches column. In addition, other advertisers may trigger the limited data view by reaching a limit on the number of searches for search volume data.
  • Access to traffic forecast data will remain unchanged.
  • The AdWords API will continue to return full data.

These changes will ensure that AdWords advertisers are able to get the data they need to optimize their accounts.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Updates to the Keyword Planner Tool

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Thanks, everyone, for your continued patience as we worked with the technical team to get these issues resolved.

Level 8
# 3
Level 8
Thanks for the update Cassie. One thing that confuses me. How does this change "ensure that AdWords advertisers are able to get the data they need to optimize their accounts"?

Color me confused, but it looks like you're giving us less data than before. I'm not an Adwords power user, but I can't wrap my head around how this helps us to optimize. Please set me straight!

Level 7
# 4
Level 7
Seconded. It seems to me all you have done is take away some value of this tool for low spend advertisers and people just getting started with AdWords.

Level 8
# 5
Level 8
How are we able to figure out new budgets if the account hasn't even started yet?

As an example, I have a client interested in potentially spending up to $20K a month. They are only willing to spend that much if we can somewhat pre-determine ROI based on cost per click and expected (or average) conversion rates. Without the keyword data we have no way to figure that out. Makes it a harder sell without the info.

Level 8
# 6
Level 8
Thank you google, thank you very much for make things more complicated, really thank you...

Level 10
# 7
Level 10
After reading the update from @CassieH, I can relate to the frustrations reported by @Steph_W and @Cyrus_S, but let's be honest, if it were easy to do the back-end work necessary to keep AdWords at 100% functioning for advertisers 24/7 then Google would have more competitors. Let's be grateful that we are receiving timely updates and that it should be back to normal functioning sooner than later. We appreciate your hard work Google!

Level 5
# 8
Level 5
You're right, they should probably only open from Monday to Friday and only serve their customers until 8pm to fend off new competition.

Level 6
# 9
Level 6
Exactly this. How giving less information would ever help?
Highlighted

Level 7
# 10
Level 7
What happened to "Don't be evil"?
Experts in the Topic
Lakatos
CassieH
Celebird