1.7K members online now
Stay up-to-date on the latest AdWords features and changes
Guide Me
star_border

[Update] Ad Groups without targeting in GDN or Video Gampaigns

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Starting January 18th, 2017, we're making advertising for display and video campaigns simpler: ad groups with no targeting method selected will automatically be eligible to show ads on the Google Display Network, so long as they have a bid set and at least one approved ad.

Current display and video ad groups that don’t have a targeting method will be paused starting January 18th, 2017 to ensure they don't show ads you don't intend to show.

Going forward, please remember to always manually pause any new ad groups that aren’t ready or that you don’t want to show ads. It’s also a best practice to evaluate your targeting options whenever you create an ad group, so you can choose the one that best aligns with your business goals.

Learn more about this upcoming change in the AdWords Help Center.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Please let us know if you have any questions!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi thanks for the info. I just wanted to know what does it exactly mean. Like for example i have a true video campaign running and i have not set the targeting but i have set a specific keyword and i have also selected to show my ads on Youtube only. So what will happen to my campaign or what changes i need to make.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi thanks for the info. I just wanted to know what does it exactly mean. Like for example i have a true video campaign running and i have not set the targeting but i have set a specific keyword and i have also selected to show my ads on Youtube only. So what will happen to my campaign or what changes i need to make.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @ABHINAV S,

Please make sure that if you have not set the targeting then pause your ads if you don't want to run your ads or do targeting. As you discussed above that you have set a specific keywords and selected YouTube also then you need not worry.

Regards,

Dharmendra 

Re: [Update] Ad Groups without targeting in GDN or Video Gampaigns

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Keywords are a targeting method form. Also,YouTube ads are eligible to run on the googledisplay network unless you customize network settings at the campaign level of your ad groups. See  example screenshot below for reference- 

IMG_4007.JPG

-Julia

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager

@ABHINAV S, @Dharmendra T and @Julia Xhajaj are both correct! Keywords do count as a targeting method, so you would not be affected by the update in this case.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @CassieH,

Hope you are doing good.

This is functionality is really good for new advertiser, however, things will work dynamically.

According to the Goals and is it market specific or it will be deployed globally.

~Abdur

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager

Hi @Abdur R, thanks for your question! This change will be rolling out globally