Guide Me
star_border

Transition to Expanded Text Ads by January 31st

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi AdWords Community,

This is a friendly reminder that starting on January 31st, you’ll only be able to create and edit text ads using the expanded text ads format. After this date, you’ll no longer be able to create standard text ads. While this will be the last date to create them, existing standard text ads will continue to serve. 

Editing

Note that editing a standard text ad on or after January 31st will open the ad in the expanded text ad format. This also removes the standard text ad. To create an expanded text ad from a standard text ad without removing the existing ad, hover over the ad and select "copy and edit" from the drop-down next to the pencil icon.

Best Practices

Expanded text ads can deliver great results, particularly with a commitment to testing new creatives. Here are some best practices to keep in mind as you make the transition:

1. Implement multiple versions of your ads. Aim for at least 3-5 per ad group.
2. Leave your standard text ads running. You can’t create new ones, but the old ones can still serve. Don’t delete them until they stop receiving impressions on their own or the message is no longer accurate.
3. Plan to optimize your ad rotation for clicks or conversions. These options give preference to ads that are likely to perform better.

Dynamic Search Ads

This transition deadline will not affect dynamic search ads, since expanded text ads are not yet available for dynamic search ads. The AdWords Product team is currently working on rolling out the expanded text ad format for dynamic search ads, and we expect this feature to be available in the coming months.

You can learn more about the changes on the AdWords Help Center.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

If you have any questions, please post below and I'll be happy to help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI Cassie, 

Thanks for the reminder.  I'd like to add that if you are using the Bulk Templates Google released late last summer for creating ETAs, they lack an "Ad type" column. I was getting a new error recently after not having uploaded a bulk template in a few weeks which alerted me to the problem. Our Google rep contacted support who confirmed that the Ad type column is now required with Expanded text ad in that field. 

We're also using the script text ad to ETA Transition Helper v1.0.  Not sure if the script will also throw the same error; I'll return once we use the script to import those ETAs as a followup. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Again @CassieH!

Regarding the editing of standard ads...when I am in a client's Display Campaign and click on a Standard Text Ad to edit it to an Expanded Text Ad, it automatically opens up as to edit a Responsive Display Ad. I can manually change the setting at the bottom to Text Ad, but do you have any idea of why it would automatically change it from Standard Text Ad to Responsive?