4.2K members online now
Stay up-to-date on the latest AdWords features and changes
Guide Me
star_border

Changes to Managed Access Levels Starting November 14, 2016

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Starting on November 14, 2016, “Managed-Read only” and “Managed-Standard” access users will be upgraded to “Administrative” access level to make it easier for you to control access to your AdWords accounts. “Administrative” access users will be able to invite new users and change user access levels for the same AdWords account.

Review users in your accounts with "Managed-Read only" or "Managed-Standard" access before November 14, 2016 to confirm that this upgrade will meet your business needs. Learn more on the AdWords Help Center.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @CassieH,

Thank you for this information. 

I am seeing some state that there will be no other options other than to give administrative access. Can you confirm that we will still have options for a limited access user, namely a access level that cannot add/remove users or see billing? 

Kind Regards,

James

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

@James_Clemens I've just double checked with the Product team, and as long as you're an Admin on the account, you will be able to move the managed user to Admin status, then downgrade the user to Read-only (it will take two steps). It's worth noting, though, that read-only users can currently view Billing, and that won't change with this November 14th update.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @CassieH,

That is perfect and will be great to report back to others and as this comes up more in conversation. Thank you for your time with looking into this for me.

Happy Friday,

James

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

I'm glad to hear that there will still be a read-only option in place for client access.

Brandon Lucius, Google Adwords & Google Partners Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Facebook | Twitter

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Do you have a link to any official announcement - Inside AdWords, etc.?

Tom

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager

Hi @tomhalejr, This is the official announcement; you can find similar announcements on the AdWords social media handles (linked via the icons in the top right corner of your Community view).

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

Automatically changing the access level from read only to administrative sounds like a huge security issue. I would think there would be at least a mass email or something. Especially because there is a specific process to reset the access level to that which was granted in the first place. These are the kinds of changes that clients would want to know about, officially, from Google. Without having to pour over every thread in the AdWords forum, and hopefully stumbling across something.

I don't understand how, if someone has specifically given read only access, changing that to administrative helps the advertiser. If they wanted to give admin access, then they would have. Right? What problem is this solving?

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree, @tomhalejr - that's a big leap and am surprised they'd go to such an extreme upgrade. I did get email notifications alerting me to this, and while I understand the responsibility is on me to make any changes,  I can't see that this is a smart migration.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @tomhalejr - I had the same question at this post: 

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Managing-Your-MCC/Alert-from-AdWords-All-Standard-Read-Onl...

There were some very helpful contributions from others, hope you find that useful.