AdWords
2.6K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

is it common to be blocked from access to my adwords campaign by the company hired to help

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently joined a company to help solve some issues. One issue is they hired a person to do an adwords campaign but said person refuses now to grant anyone else access to our own ADWORDS campaign. even in the face of a request from the CEO. This can't be normal. It feels like a huge red flag...Any thoughts on this? One person referred to it as blackboxing.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David W
December 2016

is it common to be blocked from access to my adwords campaign by the company hired to help

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @David W,

You are welcome. 

You can have more than one company and more than one account, however the issue comes if/when both accounts fire ads off at the same time. This violates the double-serve rule and will get both campaigns suspended, which could lead to both accounts being suspended, which could make the web property suspended long term from being used with AdWords. 

Your best bet is to not attempt this and only use one agency/professional, one account and run things nice & clean. To hold onto someone that is managing a very small amount when they are not working to what the CEO or yourself, all while holding up the lionshare of possible spend amount is not how I would do it. That person given a written request to conform to what your company wants. Then if they refused, the person would receive another letter saying to accept this thirty day notice to cease all actions on behalf on our company. If none of this is possible or wanted, then you are stuck where you are until something changes. 

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @David W,

This is a grey area within the advertising industry. 

1. A person that creates the AdWords account is the owner of the account, not the company they are advertising for. This is much like a website in that many web developers do not give ownership to the code and content, unless it is clearly stated up front that the business wants to own the website after creation. Same thing with TV commercials. You go to the TV station and pay them $5,000 for a thirty second spot... and later ask for a copy so you can put it on your website and YouTube... and they inform you sorry, you can put this online anywhere and it can only be shown on our station. However, if you stipulate upfront that you want to own the production and have full access to the use of it, you generally get it.  

2. A person that owns the AdWords account is hired by a business and can be fired by a business. You are not obligated to continue to work with someone that is not pleasing you or your CEO. Fire them and hire someone new and state up front that you want read only access.

With that said, let's talk about why some advertisers to this.

A. They have proprietary techniques that they do not want other advertisers to be exposed to. AdWords is a very dynamic product that anyone can use but each person uses it differently and gain very different results from their techniques.

B. They do not want others to make changes to things they have worked hard to set in place. They do not want experiments completed that counter their proven performance. Many new people look around AdWords and want to click on lots of things and sometimes click things off or on accidentally. Or they want to try something they think seems like a good idea because they read an article someone, which may be old or may not apply to the actual campaign at hand.

With this covering the normal reasons advertisers do not give access, we should discuss the not so normal... or desirable.

1. They do not have the AdWords account setup as a unique account and are actually using campaigns for multiple clients and cannot give out access to one without giving out access to others. This is rare but I have seen it. You can verify this is not happening by seeing your actual AdWords account number. All third-party users of AdWords have to provide an account number, clicks per month, cost of actual money spent with AdWords (not management fees), cost per click, and click through ratio. If they refuse to provide this upon your request, then you are not working with a professional or someone credible and you can report them here. Actually, you and your CEO can print that entire page and review it and compare it to your agency/advertiser. It is what we all must comply with, regardless to how my post or your feelings are interpreted. It's Google's word on this matter. 

2. They do not want you to see the actual results, which are different from the information they give you on their fancy letterhead. We send clients actual pdf reports direct from AdWords and Analytics so they are not doctored up, fancy reports with false data. They are real, raw and direct. We save the fancy stuff for thank you notes. 

I do hope something gets worked out to you and your bosses satisfaction. It is smart of you to come here to learn more. 

All the Best,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much for that clarification. May I ask a follow up. If this person is running a campaign for a very small partnership with our company....does that mean that we can't set up another adwords account to manage the lionshare of what this company offers? That is my understanding. We can only have one adwords account associated to our company at a time. Is this correct?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David W
December 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @David W,

You are welcome. 

You can have more than one company and more than one account, however the issue comes if/when both accounts fire ads off at the same time. This violates the double-serve rule and will get both campaigns suspended, which could lead to both accounts being suspended, which could make the web property suspended long term from being used with AdWords. 

Your best bet is to not attempt this and only use one agency/professional, one account and run things nice & clean. To hold onto someone that is managing a very small amount when they are not working to what the CEO or yourself, all while holding up the lionshare of possible spend amount is not how I would do it. That person given a written request to conform to what your company wants. Then if they refused, the person would receive another letter saying to accept this thirty day notice to cease all actions on behalf on our company. If none of this is possible or wanted, then you are stuck where you are until something changes. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You guys are awesome. Thanks for getting back to us so fast. This was what I thought and I am going to advise that we drop the person on this account and hand over to our SEO team as they are more qualified and have our best interest at heart. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @David W,

You are very welcome. We are here to assist where we can. 

Have a great week,

James

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I would escalate the case to a higher level within the organization... It doesn't make sense that  an employee would restrict the access to the account only to himself.  From security POV this is not recommended.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’