AdWords
2.5K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

forward number, ad extension

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI,

I've been able to finally start a google forward number campaign. The number that is still showing is the same and has not changed but one thing is that our traffic has decreased almost 95%. We used our exact campaign and once we added the extension tool our traffic has gone from having close to a 300 clicks a day to 8 clicks a day. This is the same for all campaigns. If I take the extension off, normal traffic starts again. Has anyone seen this before?

This is killing our ppc efforts.

Thanks,

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: forward number, ad extension

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
If you use the ad preview tool when the extension is on and off, you will be able to see if the ad copy is changing. Try it for desktop and mobile searches. If it isn't changing, then your problem is probably not the extension

Re: forward number, ad extension

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

There are various conditions where forwarding numbers don’t work:

Display network: Call extensions targeting the Display Network don’t support Google forwarding numbers or tracking of calls as conversions.

Ads with low traffic: Google forwarding numbers may not show with desktop ads if your ad group isn’t getting a minimum number of clicks in a four-week period. Your business phone number will be shown in that case. (There’s no minimum requirement for ads on high-end mobile devices.)

Outside of Google ads: Custom Google forwarding numbers shouldn’t be used for any other purpose (except where you used these numbers for website call conversion tracking). These numbers are a property of Google and can change or be reassigned at any time.

I have not heard that any ad extension is responsible for the low traffic, in fact these help to increase the CTR by increasing the traffic.

Though the reason may be if users are converting directly, dialling your number from the ads without clicking the ads. As the original number is being displayed with the ads, adwords system is unable to track those phone call(without GFN).

So you need to fulfil the criteria to show GFN within the ads, otherwise original number will be displayed or use a separate phone number to track the phone call from adwords ads without GFN.

Also, analyse the campaigns thoroughly with a comparison for a time period with respect to search impression share, change in ads positions, CTR an more useful metrics.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’